PDA

View Full Version : The Elusive "Perfect Pillow" / Cushion

CGough
10-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Hi, I'm trying to develop a way to create realistic cushions and pillows for some vis work.

I've been using a mix of Cloth simulation for the initial shape and then displacement over this for finer folds in the fabric. I believe it looks good so far but could still be better.

Does anybody out there care to share their process or ideas for great pillows/ cushions and fabric in general?

I've attached three images of my pillows so far.

Edit: Also I should make it clear I'm using 3ds Max 2011.

Decency
10-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Wow, one of the best looking pillows I've seen. How are you using Cloth to get that result?

CGough
10-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks.

I use garment maker and cloth sim to pull the gemoetry into shape, then a displace modifier with a fabric bump image faded out with a gradient ramp (so the bumps become less pronounced towards the centre of the pillow). the base mesh is still high but I want to use Z brush to create a good normal map version of this so the poly count can be even lower.

Cloth sim isn't doing all the work, merely creating the base shape of the pillow.

Dare-o
10-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Overall it does look good, 1 part I would go in depth a bit further would be the corners. To me the transitioning corner creases are a bit to straight. They look all the same, the wrinkles do help break it up a bit, but if you were to add that extra weight/detail to the corners I think it would look even better.

alessandro84
05-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Hi, you made a good job :)

i' am tring to use the garmet maker modifier with cloth but i got not so good result, can you explane us how do you use it?

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2011, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.