PDA

View Full Version : Confused on what major to be looking at.

nickygents
10-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Hello. I currently take a computer animation course at a trade school for 3 periods a day (2 hours and 15 minutes). Its a two year course and I am currently a senior. In the first year we learned basic animation history, drawing skills, photoshop, flipbook. We also tapped into autodesk maya but didn't use it for more then two months. This year the entire course is going to be based on autodesk maya and by the end of the year i will have completed the equivalent to one semester of college. However I'm now looking at colleges and I'm not really sure what to be looking for. I'm trying to stay in the Tri-state area to save money (I dont want to be left thousands and thousands of dollars in debt) so i have been looking into Suny Schools. I would like to focus in 3D however i do not know what colleges provide this. I know a few sunys like new paltz, oswego, purchase, and alfred (i've also seen some none sunys like the fashion institution of technology, pratt, and new york technical institute.) have graphic design but im not sure if graphic design is what im looking for. From what ive read graphic design seems to be a fairly broad major and encompasses many things, whereas i would like to specify in 3D, making movies/video games/other entertainment. Does anyone know if you can specify in 3D with a graphic design major? What should i be looking for if i want to pursue a career in this field? Also it would be awesome if someone who works for a company doing 3D work could tell me their daily routine at work. Thanks for the help.

circusboy
10-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Graphic Design with a 3d bent. Sounds like me back in the late 80's.
I went on to study 3d animation at Sheridan.
Nope I'd say you want a more speciffic degree than 'graphic design'.

Graphic Designers aren't any good a teaching how to make things move.
Their stuff stays still.:twisted:

nickygents
10-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Graphic Design with a 3d bent. Sounds like me back in the late 80's.
I went on to study 3d animation at Sheridan.
Nope I'd say you want a more speciffic degree than 'graphic design'.

Graphic Designers aren't any good a teaching how to make things move.
Their stuff stays still.:twisted:

I can't really afford to go to a private college so I'm stuck with choosing from SUNY's really and I think any of them have any specific 3D programs.

jeremybirn
10-09-2010, 06:13 PM
You can certainly get a good liberal arts education at the SUNY schools. Study art: Drawing classes are vital, and you should pick a college with a good art department. If you're up to it, take some computer science classes and at least learn Python or other scripting languages and get comfortable in Linux or UNIX environments. Then you can do more 3D learning on the side: take on-line classes at animation mentor, workshops from cg society, buy training DVDs and educational-priced software for your PC, etc. Graphic Design (like how to lay-out brochures, work with type, design web pages, etc.) shouldn't be your major if that's not what you're interested in.

-jeremy

nickygents
10-09-2010, 06:41 PM
You can certainly get a good liberal arts education at the SUNY schools. Study art: Drawing classes are vital, and you should pick a college with a good art department. If you're up to it, take some computer science classes and at least learn Python or other scripting languages and get comfortable in Linux or UNIX environments. Then you can do more 3D learning on the side: take on-line classes at animation mentor, workshops from cg society, buy training DVDs and educational-priced software for your PC, etc. Graphic Design (like how to lay-out brochures, work with type, design web pages, etc.) shouldn't be your major if that's not what you're interested in.

-jeremy

Alright thanks a lot for the reply.

Robostat
10-18-2010, 07:09 AM
False.

SUNY Oneonta has a small and relatively newer 3d program in their arts school. You should check it out I went to visit there when I was looking for programs and the visit was very helpful. Go to the art section of their site and contact some faculty to get some feedback.

Good luck

circusboy
10-18-2010, 02:50 PM
False.

SUNY Oneonta has a small and relatively newer 3d program in their arts school. You should check it out I went to visit there when I was looking for programs and the visit was very helpful. Go to the art section of their site and contact some faculty to get some feedback.

Good luck
Better yet-talk to some graduates (if there are any yet) to get a better more honest feedback about the program. New programs tend to have teething problems...

nickygents
10-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Will do, thanks a lot. I briefly looked into Oneonta but ill look into it more now.

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2010, 12:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.