PDA

View Full Version : Make particles not visible to cam

Mente_79
10-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Hello all,

does anybody know, in particle flow, how to make particles invisible to cam but still cast shadow on a plane?

At the moment, I have a plane with a matte shader applied and set to receive shadows. I can't seem to set the particles to be invisible to cam so that I can catch a shadow pass only? Any ideas?

JohnnyRandom
10-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Right-click on the PF Source 01 global node in Particle View and choose Properties, untick Visible to Camera. For only specific events do the same only choose the Event instead of the Source node.

Mente_79
10-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Ah-hah! Thank you very much! I was right clicking on the source in the viewport. I guess that's different from the node in the actual viewer.

JohnnyRandom
10-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Yep, it is, and it can be confusing.

For instance if you click on the Source in Particle View and go to the pView Menu Select and choose Assign Selection to Viewport you'll notice that something is selected, then Right-click in the viewport to open your quad menu select Object Properties and notice that it is the Node that you have selected in the Particle View.

It is just the way pFlow is built, everything in Particle View (ops, tests, ect.) have a helper hidden in the scene at [0,0,0] World Space. That is why sometimes when you have different layers in your scene, you add new pflow operators, that happen to get added to a different layer than the source, your flow can break at render time. Not really break just parts may not render.

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2010, 07:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.