PDA

View Full Version : PreCollege program... Recommended?

piotrtheman
10-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Hi,
I've been on these forums for nearly half a year now, except that I haven't posted anything yet, I've sorta been stalking you, lol!

Anyways, I'm from Norway and I'm really interested in taking one of the precollege programs that they offer in the U.S. for a little less than a year now, I've been doing ALOT of modeling, texturing and a little bit of animation in maya while also following along with alot of the courses over at the Digital Tutors site.

My question is, should I attend these precollege programs and pay alot of money on stuff i probably all ready learned from Digital Tutors? I know that the teachers will give you alot of assistance with building a solid portfolio and also, you will get that gollege experience.
2 of the precolleges I've been into are the one at the "Academy of Art" and the other one at "Ringling". What I also don't understand is, why does the "Ringling" precollege program cost nearly $2000 more dollars than the "Academy of art" program, even when "Ringling" is 2 weeks shorter?

So what do you think? If anyone been there, do they only go through basics or a little bit more advanced as well?

-Peter

MrConterno
10-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Personally I think pre-college programs are sorta a scam. Basically summer camp for rich kids. From what I heard they don't really teach you much.

piotrtheman
10-08-2010, 11:17 PM
thanks for replying:)

Yeah, that's what I thought:D I've been thinking alot about it and I probably won't attend, will rather spend my money on real college education.

Meloncov
10-08-2010, 11:32 PM
I attended two different pre-college programs (MICA and Ringling). I learned at least as much at them as I did in a similar amount of time actually at college. Yes, they are expensive, but they help a lot with admissions and scholarships for college. I strongly suspect that the boost in scholarships earned due to the years at pre-college works out to far more than I spent.

As for the price difference between Ringling and AAU, part of it is that Ringling is generally a more expensive school, with better facilities, smaller classes, better paid teachers, and the like. Also, while I could be wrong, I suspect the price for Ringling includes room and board while the price for AAU does not.

CGTalk Moderation
10-08-2010, 11:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.