PDA

View Full Version : Blender 2.28c is out, Fast Radiosity!

JA-forreal
10-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Well, this is the news Blenderheads. Blender 2.28c is ready. Try out the fast GI rendering feature for radiosity based indirect lighting.-

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=79&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

I found a way to use the radiosity render process in the examples seen here.-

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=12279#12279

As always, have fun and Blend on!

Apollux
10-05-2003, 03:26 AM
Ja-Foreal, you seem to have a thing for wood crates :p

The new radio looks good, but I'm a little confused: The old radio was removed/replaced?

JA-forreal
10-05-2003, 10:00 AM
Well, when I show a test render I don't spend much time on the details. A simple Cube can better show up the effects of GI lighting than a Plane. Hopefully it's enough for another 3d artist to see how they can use a similar render process for expressing themselves with as many details as they see fit. Blender has given us many ways to build scenes and render them as beautiful images.

I love wood. I'm a wood sculptor among other things. And I have a lot of wood texture cd images.

JamesMK
10-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by JA-forreal
Well, when I show a test render I don't spend much time on the details.
Could you please throw one of your more complex scenes into the new Blender and post a pic here? I'd love to see the state of the renderer now - it's been a while since I blended anything... :)

JA-forreal
10-08-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by JamesMK
Could you please throw one of your more complex scenes into the new Blender and post a pic here? I'd love to see the state of the renderer now - it's been a while since I blended anything... :)

Here are some "detailed" files from "The" Blender man himself, Ton-

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2091&start=0

Hanzo did a good detailed test render of the raptors on this page . Scroll down-

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2091&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Oh yeah. I works with UV maps and you can rig and animate the radiosity objects. Cool stuff?

Read the rest of this thread and your will find more interesting news, links and discussions on this topic. My take on the new radiosity feature is at the end of the thread.

Blender is going through some amazing changes. If you want to keep updated you have to watch the Org.

Enjoy

JamesMK
10-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Still looks a bit patchy in places, but I guess having it done at rendertime so to speak is a great improvement.

Has anyone rendered a real scene with textures and so on? Does the max 16 material indicies limitation still apply?

JA-forreal
10-09-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by JamesMK
Still looks a bit patchy in places, but I guess having it done at rendertime so to speak is a great improvement.

Has anyone rendered a real scene with textures and so on? Does the max 16 material indicies limitation still apply?

Well this feature is still in development and we can look forward to having this and other improvements in Blender along with Yafray and renderman compliance so... Iím taking my coat off and staying around for the rest of the show.

-Yes you still have to use datablocks to get around the 16 material limits. I use Yafray for a lot of my renders now. And I hardly ever run into problems in Blender because I only use UV maps for textures.

-I find that for now, that using textures with the radiosity covers the patchiness but the indirect light effects still work. It looks like we will not have to use GI spheres anymore. Ahhhh, I loved setting those up. Oh well.

Still in Beta.... I love beta testing.

And I don't know the full potential of the new radiosity features. Hey, I never even used radiosity in Blender before this feature. Maybe some of you Blender masters will cook up something tasty that really shows what this badboy can do.

Bring it on........

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.