PDA

View Full Version : importExportAnim alternatives

gauranga108
10-06-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm using a modular rigging system with lots of containers and published nodes.

Maya's importExportAnim plugin doesn't work with my system.

I'm looking for some good ways of importing and exporting animation curves.

I'm looking for something simple. Something where I can copy keys to exportable objects, import those objects, copy and paste keys over to new objects. Any scripts out there like this?

I've started writing my own script to do this but I've hit a wall with namespaces, still trying. I started out copying keys from all my animation controls and pasting it onto locators with the same names. This worked well with edit>transfer Attributes having the same name and all. I'm thinking of exploring this more. I just haven't figured out how to automate the copying and pasting.

I haven't tried the trax editor but I'm not that into the trax editor from past experience.

Thanks

Morganism
10-06-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm actually working on a similar script right now, which basically does just what you've described. For every node, create an empty transform, copy all the attributes across, transfer animation across, and export the nodes. I'm storing the node name without namespace in a string attribute on the transform. When you import it back in, find the target node name from the attribute, then you can prefix it with whatever namespace you like, and copy paste the animation to that node.

If you have trouble getting that to work, I should be have something working in the next couple days, I could pass it along.

P.S. I've never had much luck with the trax editor.

RedNine
10-06-2010, 09:29 AM
For the animation copy of data between rigs etc I'm in the middle of writing a StudioTool pack with a ton of animation data transfer functions in it. Tools for copying and snapping data between hierarchies and rigs.
The core of this is a hierarchy search function that deals with namespaces, prefix's etc and allows you to very carefully specifiy what between 2 heiarchies get managed. Perfect for casting the animation of one system to another. It also deals with world space differences, so if character A has multiple group nodes above him and Character B doesn't, the transfer will still be perfect.

You're more than welcome to join the Alpha list for it, just drop me a mail.

Red

Mark-J
10-06-2010, 09:34 AM
The Trax editor is fine, as long as your VERY carefull when setting up your characterSets. The default paste method of clips is 'character map', which sucks. If you try copy and paste between clips but open up the paste options and specify paste method : 'attribute order' then that normally helps a lot.

gauranga108
10-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks Morganism for your post, it was nice to read about your workflow. You've seen to have put more thought and energy in yours then I've put in mine. I'll look into those things you mentioned. Would love to see it when you're done.

Thanks Red for your post too. Your studio tools sounds really cool. Is the Aphla list a place to hear how it's going or to help on it? I'd be interested in both.

Thanks Mark-J. Do you think character sets will work to well with my published attributes and lock container stuff?

Gauranga

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2010, 08:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.