PDA

View Full Version : Self-Portrait: Topology Help

mwdewitt
10-06-2010, 03:04 AM
Hello, everyone. I have been out of college for a little over a year now and I am working on my portfolio. This is my latest model, which is a self-portrait. What I need help on is the topology. About a week ago, I thought I was done. Then a friend pointed out that I was missing the nasolabial fold. So I added that, but then I realized I was also missing the infraorbital fold, and that's when the problems started to appear. The topology, after adding the nasolabial fold, is not perfect. There are a lot of poles (where three or five edges meet) on areas that will have major deformations when I decide to animate my head. So I would love it if you guys could give me some advice on how to retopologize the cheek area of my model or even do an overlay. Thank you in advance.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/586/headrl.jpg

Kanga
10-07-2010, 03:18 AM
You want to relocate those poles into non essential areas. There are a number of approaches, read them all here:

http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907

Depending on what you will do with the cage, those edges on the front of the lips are too oblong, too many edges. If you give the mouth an opening it will allow you to terminate those loops in the recess.

mwdewitt
10-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Thank you for your critique, Kanga. You said in your post that I should relocate my poles to non essential areas, but that is what I am finding most difficult. I followed your link and read everything on there, but I am still confused on the subject. Do you have anymore resources that may help me with this matter? And concerning the excessive edges on the front of the lips, I have not gone into Maya yet to spread them out evenly. There is actually a "mouth bag" behind the lips, defining the inside of the mouth, and when I went to insert two edge loops for the nose, it wrapped the edges around the lips and down the chin and neck area. Again, thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Kanga
10-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi Mathew.
If you went through the thread you will notice there are about four main approaches to laying out edgeloops for a face. You should pick one approach that you like and copy it. If you are using an auto edgeloop cutting tool it will pick its own ring and follow that. You have to learn how to terminate edgeloops by using hooks. In that way you can place poles (5 or more star connections) where they will do the least damage. There are indeed many many tutorials showing how to model a face, for free on the web. I use that article I linked to if I ever get lost myself.

You should have a cutting tool that allows you to manually set edges, I am a max user so I dont know about Maya. I cant point you to a specific tutorial but you will be able to find them.

mwdewitt
10-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Thank you, once again, Kanga. I will be sure to look over that link again. And I am sorry if this is covered in the link, but what is a hook? Also, I got rid of those two poles on the lower cheek! Now, I just have one more to take care of before I sub-divide. I am not concerned with the pole under the eye because I do not see any major deformations happening there, but if you think otherwise, please tell me. And, again, thank you in advance.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2479/head2lv.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2010, 06:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.