PDA

View Full Version : My Profession Games showreel

ianjohnwhite
10-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Hello,

Here is my showreel from my work on Aliens Vs Predator, released earlier this year.
Let me know your thoughts,

LINK TO SHOWREEL (http://ianjohnwhite.wordpress.com/2010-animation-showreel/)

http://ianjohnwhite.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/showreel_mosaic.jpg

Cheers,
Ian

nakimushi
10-05-2010, 07:34 PM
hey man
Its really hard to give you any critique because everything is dark and its all scenes captured from game
I will suggest next time to make nice previews from your software with normal camera shoot so its easier for us to see motion .
you can always ask your producer after project is done to give you video files/
its cool project to work on so anyway congrats !

ianjohnwhite
10-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Yeah the project was really fun to work on and as my first industry title, I don't think I could of asked for more.

I quite like having finished shots on my reel, although I get the point that its maybe better to have clean renders so you can analyze the animation, I am currently working on my reel and learning maya so soon there will be some still camera work on there to add variation to the reel.

acamporota
10-06-2010, 02:19 PM
nice stuff man..even if some animation are a little bit mechanic..need more overlapping i think...
my big suggestion is to change the music..is to distracting to me

Nightkrawler xo
10-07-2010, 06:11 PM
nice stuff man..even if some animation are a little bit mechanic..need more overlapping i think...

Agreed,i felt embarassed just listening to it. Also what did you do in the shots you showed?

ianjohnwhite
10-08-2010, 06:07 AM
Agreed,i felt embarassed just listening to it. Also what did you do in the shots you showed?

Okay maybe less crit needed on my musical tastes (Admittedly I don't have the best), I think we have established people don't like it. I'll choose something more Jazzy/Pixar like in the future.

With regards to whats on the reel,All animation is by myself, I also did the lighting and rendering of the 1st, 5th AVP shots and the last 3 personal shots on the reel.

Model environments and in game lighting was produced by other members of the team working on AVP

Thankyou for your crit, The ingame stuff has "Linear Engine compression" on the animation which loses some of the detail of my original 3ds max animation, however this is another reason to render animations for the showreel straight from the 3d software. :)

googboog8
10-08-2010, 06:56 PM
it played fine on my laptop (wasn't dark).

the AVP animations look great but the other game, the one with the girl with the big..er.. was hard to judge because the camera was moving a lot.
do you have any static camera shots for us to look at?

ianjohnwhite
10-09-2010, 08:32 AM
it played fine on my laptop (wasn't dark).

the AVP animations look great but the other game, the one with the girl with the big..er.. was hard to judge because the camera was moving a lot.
do you have any static camera shots for us to look at?

Sorry, The last few shots are some short films and idents I have done which I should of stated in the thread title, I have older stuff that has still camera work from my last reel and some newer stuff that is not finished so I won't post that just yet. Thankyou for the comments though, I will all help when producing my next major reel,

Cheers,
Ian

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2010, 08:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.