PDA

View Full Version : Painter Tips & Tricks

Lunatique
10-04-2003, 10:16 AM
Post any cool Painter tricks and useful tips you have discovered or read about here.

Lunatique
10-04-2003, 10:23 AM
http://www.ethereality.info/etherea...&highlight=

PDF version: http://www.ethereality.info/etherea...&highlight=

And here's another one:

If you are working on a seperate layer, and your brush is leaving strange marks when it shouldn't(for example, Opaque Round brush with the resaturation set to 0, and the bleed up, for blending), then just do this: duplicate the entire canvas layer, and paint on the duplicate layer. If you want to do some parts over, you can just erase and have the original canvas layer show through.

Jinbrown
10-04-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi,

Though in Painter 8, we have the Info palette that gives us a small real-time view of our painting, and also have the Navigation icon at the lower left corner of the image window that allows us to view and navigate the entire image using a slightly larger view of the entire image, there's also a way to quickly take a peek at the entire image at 100% zoom.

In Edit > Preferences > Customize Keys (Painter 8),

or.

in Edit > Preferences > Function Keys (Painter 7 and earlier versions),

program F keys or Shift+F keys to do the following:

File > Clone (this opens an exact, flattened copy of your image at it's current state of development).

File > Close

Using these three methods, you have some good options for quickly viewing your image at various stages.

Using the Navigation icon, you also have a very good way of navigating your image while zoomed in, without having to zoom back out to go to a different area of the image and continue working.

When the Navigate icon is clicked, a small view of the entire image pops up with a red rectangle defining the area of the image that's currently in view in the image window. Click and drag the rectangle to whatever other area you want in view, then click in the image to close the small pop up window.

Lunatique
10-04-2003, 05:28 PM
I tend to just hit "m," and then click the choices on top. I don't use the Navigation since I usually hit control+m to maximize my working space.

Oh, and tab will hide/show all the palettes you have open. Very handy for people that hate UI clutter.

VShane
10-05-2003, 08:09 PM
If your brush is leaving strange "white marks" on a seperate painting layer, in the Layers pallette, just click on the "Pick up Layer", this will cease the painting marks your speaking of (well in 7 anyway)Lunatique, but it must be checked for each layer.

Jinbrown
10-05-2003, 08:10 PM
In the Painter Wish List thread, Lunatique said:

When I say stupid, it meant that in Painter, you can't see the actual line when you are trying to do a line, until you click the second time--only to see that the line didn't line up to something you wanted. In Photoshop, you click and drag, and you can see the line as you move it, and it makes lining up to the horizon, or a vertical column..etc much easier.

I don't know if you meant straight lines or freehand lines, Lunatique, but if you did mean straight lines:

1. Hit the "V" key to draw straight lines.

2. To align a straight line brushstroke with another straight line, or straight edge, click once at the beginning of the brushstroke.

3. Click and hold at the end of the brushstroke. You'll see a ghost line representing the brushstroke.

4. Drag to align the brushstroke, then let go.

If you're using the Pen tool rather than the Brush tool:

1. Click once to establish the beginning point.

2. Click again to establish the ending point. As you do this, you'll see a ghost line representing the actual line.

3. If the line is not aligned with another line or edge with which you want it to be aligned and the ending point is not already active (red), hit the "H" key to activate the Shape Selection tool.

4. With the Shape highlighted in the Layers list, drag a window around the ending point.

5. Use the up, down, left, and right arrow keys to nudge the ending point into position and make the line align with whatever other line or edge with which you want the Pen line to be aligned.

Using the Grid can also help to align objects when either straight line brushstrokes or Pen lines are made.

Lunatique
10-06-2003, 05:38 AM
Ooooh, tricky! Thanks! See, this is why I needed you here so badly. I just paint in Painter, and don't know too much of the other aspects of Painter.

KayosIII
02-23-2004, 06:53 AM
I find there are a few brushes I use over and over again.

Right clicking on the Image you are working on while using the brush tool brings up a list of brushes in the current brush catagory this is by far the fastest way of switching brushes in Painter. Unfortuneatly you can only switch to brushes in the same catagory.

Solution: Create your own brush catagory and store your favourites in it.

How its done: (sorry I can't be more specific but I don't have painter right in front of me at the moment).

Check the Painter manuals for how to create a new brush catagory - I remember that you need to select a small area of your picture to use as an Icon for your brush catagory but I don't remember the command.

now you can select any brush of any type and go to the copy option (press the right facing arrow on the paintbrush options palette - its in that menu) to copy the current brush to the new brush catagory you have created.

lui 2.0
08-07-2004, 07:52 AM
i remembered a painter trick wherein you can paint over the "already painted" areas but i cant really remember what site it was. prolly u can help me regarding this matter :D

PS: Lunatique, your works are tight!

Jinbrown
08-08-2004, 02:39 PM
lui 2.0

Since this Sticky thread is a place to share tips and techniques, I'll begin a new regular thread where we can discuss your question. I'll need more information in order to answer it.

Jinny

Garma
11-02-2004, 12:41 PM
I think Painter is a fairly complicated program, especially for new users, so it surprises me that this thread is this short. the things below took me quite a while to figure out, while this should be the place to find this kind of information.

* enlarging brush size with the [ and ] keys is slow, hold Ctrl and Alt while dragging to specify a brush size in the fast way.

* in a custom palette, hold shift to drag icons around

* if you are used to a lot of layers, you better change your techniques or go back to photoshop: painter is built for a few layers max, dropping (merging) them when finished. It does not contain advanced layering techniques

Art2
11-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Hey here's a tip that works well for me.
If you have a Graphire3, you can put a photo or whatever under the trasparent pad.
I've put in the keyboard shortcuts card that came with my boxed version of Painter8.
(I know it doesn't fit entirely... but...)

After a while you know them all by heart... almost all :)

Jinbrown
11-02-2004, 11:07 PM
If your brush is leaving strange "white marks" on a seperate painting layer, in the Layers pallette, just click on the "Pick up Layer", this will cease the painting marks your speaking of (well in 7 anyway)Lunatique, but it must be checked for each layer.
Wacom_Knight,

I think you mean the Pick Up Underlying Color box at the top of the Layers palette, not "Pick up Layer".

Once the Pick Up Underlying Color box is checked, it will pick up underlying color when you work on any and all Layers. You'll need to uncheck that box when you no longer want to pick up color below the Layer you're working on.

This method should only be used with the knowledge that any new Layers added later, below the Layer where you painted with the Pick Up Underlying Color box checked will be affected by that picked up color, as it will now be over new colors, not the original color that was picked up from the previous underlying Layer. It could look pretty awful, in other words.

Another way to prevent white in brushstrokes that pass over transparent areas of a Layer is to adjust the Resaturation slider to 100%. That will change the brush variant's characteristics so it will no longer work as a blender, but you can change it back to its original settings any time you want:

Brush Selector Bar menu > Restore Default Variant

Jinbrown
11-02-2004, 11:34 PM
I think Painter is a fairly complicated program, especially for new users, so it surprises me that this thread is this short. the things below took me quite a while to figure out, while this should be the place to find this kind of information.

It's difficult to pick out all tips and tricks from so many threads but if you want specific information, use the Search function. If you still don't find what you want, post a message asking where it can be found. It might just be that the appropriate keyword(s) are needed to find that information, or someone will remember threads where it can be found.

Painter is a very complex program and not only for beginners. It takes years to learn it well and even after using Painter daily since 1995, I still discover new things frequently. It's best to bite the bullet and read the User Guide, at least enough to know generally where to find information and to become familiar with Painter terminology.

* if you are used to a lot of layers, you better change your techniques or go back to photoshop: painter is built for a few layers max, dropping (merging) them when finished. It does not contain advanced layering techniques
Many Painter artists work with a lot of Layers, and do it successfully. It's when the image is large and the Layers contain a lot of color or other complex imagery that it can become a problem. It can help to do the following:

Group Layers not in use.

Close Layer or Group Eye icons when they don't need to be seen.

Group and Collapse Layers when possible.

Save frequently using File > Save As rather than File > Save and save the image using a series of numbered file names.

Close Painter after working for an hour or so and if you're using Painter 6, Painter 7, or Painter 8, delete the Pre-built Brush File found in the following loction for your Painter version:

Painter 6 main application folder

Painter 7 > Brushes folder

Corel > Corel Painter 8 > Brushes folder

Painter IX limits the Pre-built Brush File size to a maximum 200 MB so it is expected that this file will no longer need to be deleted by the user. Its size depends on the brush variants used during a given Painter session, or multiple Painter sessions. We'll see in time how this works on users' systems with varying amounts of hard drive space and RAM. So far, I have not had a problem letting the Pre-built Brush File grow without deleting it.

Painter's Layer, Layer Mask, and Alpha Channel system is more like that of Photoshop with each new version. I think you'll find that in Painter IX and even earlier versions Painter 7 and Painter 8, most things done with Photoshop's Layer system can be done in Painter, even if somewhat differently.

The terms for merging Layers in Painter are Group (to group multiple Layers) and Collapse (to "merge" Layers in the Group).

In Painter 6, Painter 7, and Painter 8, if a Group of Layers contains any Layers set to Composite Methods other than Default, the Collapse command is greyed out.

In Painter IX this problem has been fixed. Layers set to any Composite Method can be Grouped and the Collapse command is available.

The term Drop is used when the artist wants to drop the Layer (or multiple Layers, Text, or Shapes) to the Canvas.

When we highlight one or more Layers, Text Layers, or Shapes, then use the Layers palette menu command Drop and Select, the items are dropped to the Canvas and selected all at once.

depleteD
11-13-2004, 06:28 AM
Ive just download the demo of painter 9 and after i read this thread ive been tottaly blown away.
In 15 mins I am cruseing through painter.
My question is I cant figure out to make a key that rotates the canvas 15 degrees
and another key that does the opposite.
can i hold a key, click and drag to rotate the canvas?

Art2
11-13-2004, 10:40 AM
depleteD: you can. Hold spacebar+alt and drag to rotate the canvas. Hold spacebar+alt and click to reset.

depleteD
11-13-2004, 10:40 PM
yea found out that E does that as well but alt+space is way faster. I have another question.

WHen I hold shift to lock my straight line with a brush. I want it alligned to the screen not the canvas. SO I can rotate the canvas and hit the right angles for my straight lines.

Thx guys. This thread rules.
Are there any good sites dedicated to painting tips and techniques? Imm just starting out. I really enjoy it but I want to get good quick. Screw Practisin :P

Jinbrown
11-14-2004, 05:56 AM
When your image is rotated using the Rotate Page tool, and you want to draw a straight line that's aligned with the Painter screen, not with the rotated image, click the "V" key for Straight Line painting, paint the line, then click the "B" key to go back to Freehand painting.

depleteD
11-15-2004, 12:49 AM
Yea thts what I use. just wondering if i could have a relative positioning on the shift feature. Ah well.

Gord-MacDonald
11-15-2004, 01:56 AM
***** I just noticed the "
Keeping Painter 6, Painter 7, and Painter 8 Running Smoothly
" thread *****

oops - sorry! Ignore This Post

I am using Painter 8

I am expriencing a lag from the time I draw a line (freehand brush), to the time it appears - the line slowly pushes itself forward.

Is this just a performance problem on my system: xp-pro; cpu 800 mz (yeah yeah I know.. time for an upgrade); 1.25 gig of ram.

Is there anything in the software I can do to improve performance?

Arjo
11-15-2004, 08:12 AM
How much of your RAM is used by Painter? You could lower the amount of undo levels. When Painter starts using virtual RAM it becomes much slower. Another trick I use is to start a painting at a low resolution to set up a fast rough sketch. In that case you can have broad brushes that are still fast enough. After that I rescale the image to add more detail at a better resolution. But in your case 800 Mhz is quite slow indeed. About a year and a half ago I switched from a 400 Mhz Mac to a 2 GHz PC and nothing can compete with such a system improvement of course.

Arjo.

SOLO-RM
04-15-2005, 12:19 AM
just thought i'd share these.
maybe someone will get a kick out of them.
good for practice

http://www.polybender.com/Head_B+W_small.wmv

http://www.polybender.com/Head_Color_small.wmv

Dry Ink brush for the sketch/outline.
Captured Bristle brush for the colors.
...on multiple Multiply layers.

Jinbrown
04-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Hi AREM,

Just wanted to let you know I downloaded the first of your two movies (Head_B+W_small.wmv) and it's great! Thanks so much for sharing them.

Since I have a slow modem connection, I'll have to wait to download the second one.

I'd love to know what software you used to make the movie. It's especially neat to see the cursor moving around on the screen instead of just seeing the brushstrokes appear magically as if a real person wasn't making them.

Thanks in advance if you can tell me how the movie was made. I'd love to be able to do something like that to demonstrate things for my Painter students.

SOLO-RM
04-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Jinbrown,

Thanks a lot. Glad someone liked them.
I had another video up there as well but, at 1hr 10min it was a little long so i took it down.
I plan to put those vid's (and others, later) on my site.

The name of the program i used is Camtasia 1.1.1 . I believe there's a more recent version out now. It's pretty simple to use and it has some nice options.

-i'm always getting razzed for using painter 6 and not the latest version.
what can i say, 'if it's not broken.....'

Thanks again,
arem 2005

Jinbrown
04-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks, AREM. I thought it might be Camtasia which is a little out of my price range at the moment but one of these days I might splurge and buy it. I've heard from others that its a very good program and it's good to hear from you that it's fairly simple to use. I'm way too involved with Painter things to have much time to spend learning Camtasia.

I did enjoy the movie and will probably try to download the second one pretty soon, while I'm eating breakfast. Your drawing skills are great and that makes it even more enjoyable.

Would you mind if I share the links with members of my message board too? I think some of them would really like your movies. (Don't worry, it wouldn't be a huge number of people downloading. It's a relatively quiet message board compared to this one.)

Thanks again! :)

SOLO-RM
04-15-2005, 09:30 PM
No problem.

Glad you liked them. It's ok to share them, the only thing is the vid's are on a friends site until i can redesign my site and incorporate them there, so eventually the links won't work. in which case i'll be updating this post.

caio,

www.arempire.com (http://www.arempire.com)

www.polybender.com (http://www.polybender.com)

thnx, and take care.

dbclemons
04-21-2005, 06:03 PM
To make quick and dirty halftones for that old-time Ben Day/Zipatone look (I'm using version 7):

Create a pattern that's a black and white stripe. I made two that are 32x32 and filled one side 16 pixels wide with black, the other white where the lines are horizontal on one, vertical on the other.

Take some line art, or any posterized image at 2 colors since a solid color works best for this, float the image in a layer and set the composite method to "screen." If it's solid black and white (no grey) it'll work best for this example.

Make a 2nd layer and fill with one of your new patterns, say the horizontal one, and shrink the scale of the pattern so the lines are thin. Place this layer beneath the image layer, and you'll see the solid black areas of the image layer displayed as horizontal lines.

To get a cross-hatched look, make another layer between these two, and set it's method to multiply. Now fill it with the verticla stripe pattern. Be sure the scale is the same as the horizontal pattern fill.

You can also make diagonal or dot patterns, but will probably want to make them from high-res images to avoid jaggies.

Here's another tip: Try out the "WoodCut" effect under Surface Control to make your black & white image. If you make a new color set that's just black and white, and use that in the woodcut effect, I think the results are better than posterizing a greyscale image.

sirielle
03-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Hope this is the right place to ask of it. Do you know what should I do to have in Painter all the fonts which wrok in other applications, but are invisible in Painter? I use Painter IX, but had the same problem in Painter Essentials 2.
The fonts are all True Type (if that's matter) and I use WinXP. As I look on the fonts list there is no difference between these working and these which doesn't work.

SafeZone
03-06-2006, 08:27 PM
when creating custom palettes, lets say for your brushes

it would be really nice if there was a label u could put on your items, or atleast something to differentiate them, because as it is all I get is just a bunch of brush icons that all look the same...

is there any way to do this?

malory
07-23-2006, 01:07 AM
In the Painter Wish List thread, Lunatique said:

I don't know if you meant straight lines or freehand lines, Lunatique, but if you did mean straight lines:

1. Hit the "V" key to draw straight lines.

2. To align a straight line brushstroke with another straight line, or straight edge, click once at the beginning of the brushstroke.

3. Click and hold at the end of the brushstroke. You'll see a ghost line representing the brushstroke.

4. Drag to align the brushstroke, then let go.

This is very valuable to one who knows Photoshop and is new to Painter. It's corollary in PS is:

1. Click once at the beginning of the brushstroke.

2. Hover the brush over the place you want to draw the straight line, press Shift, and click. There's your straight line.
This works not only for straight lines but around curved edges.

In Painter, what you have shown me is that one can keep draging (your point 4.) around curved edges too, just as in PS. And the way to start this process in a different part of the image, just hit the "V" key again.

Thanks much Jinbrown

Jinbrown
07-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Hi,

When we make a Straight Line stroke (click the V key, click in the image, then click again and drag to the precise point where we want that brushstroke to end, then let go), that's not a completed brushstroke until we click the either click the V key again to begin a new Straight Line stroke in another area of the image, or click the B key to begin a Freehand Stroke.

Straight Line Strokes (V key) and Freehand Strokes (B key) are not automatically connected. You'll need to paint them so they appear to be connected.

Another, more precise way to get the brustrokes you want (if you have Painter IX or later) is to use the Pen tool to draw a vector based Shape (straight line, curve, or closed Shape). Then click the Align to Path icon on the Property Bar, highlight the Shape in the Layers palette, choose a brush variant, and paint following the Shape's path. The brushstroke will automatically appear on a new Layer above the Shape.

One of the really nice things about this feature is that it allows us to see expressive brushstrokes following the Shapes path, just as they would be expressive if we painted them freehand on the Canvas. (Expressive meaning responding to Expression settings like Pressure, etc. to control Size, Opacity, Grain, and other aspects of the brushstroke)

Read more about using the Align to Path feature in Painter IX Help > Help Topics.

CGShakes85
08-12-2006, 03:22 AM
Hello,

I am new to painter and I am wondering is it possible to setup the opacity to work like it does in Photoshop. For example setting it so that when painting with low opacity, it builds upon its self only when you pick up pen and then place pen back down.

Thanks

Taltos
08-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I've also been meaning to ask that question long ago, and am eager to hera an answer. :)

musxell
08-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Cool
im also learning painter
that some information from pro painter are usefull to me

Lunatique
08-14-2006, 07:37 PM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.gell/pages/custom_palette_icons_fix.html

Custom Palettes- Duplicated Variant Icons Fix
(Painter 7, 8.1, IX and IX.5) (David Gell)

tomt
08-28-2006, 06:50 PM
The short answer is yes, certain brushes will do a "build up" of opacity. Not all though.

The Painter help files will give a long and detailed explanation of the various brushtypes and variations. It's well worth reading through, just to get a feel for the possibilities.

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2006, 06:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.