PDA

View Full Version : Painter Wishlist

Lunatique
10-04-2003, 10:09 AM
I thought it'd be a good idea to get a Painter wishlist going(I've done them at sijun, eatpoo, conceptart..etc and mailed them to Corel, but we should keep doing it since no app is ever perfect).

Before posting your wishlist, please double check with the manual to make sure they aren't just features you didn't know about.

Lunatique
10-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Mine:

1)Customizable shortcut keys

2)Faster/easier to use transform tools like Photoshop

3)When tweaking contrast/color..etc, should be able to preview the change on the entire image like Photoshop.

4)Flip Horizontal/Vertical, which affects all the layers at once.

5)Get rid of brush artifacts when painting on a seperate layer. For example, when I blend on a new layer with Opaque Round, with the resaturation turned to 0, I get ugly dark marks that shouldn't be there.

6)Get rid of the white marks when working on a layer with the "Pick Up Underlying Color" turned off.

7)Be able to actually merge layers, not just group them, in one easy step, like Photoshop.

8)Have a simple, no-frill brush set that's exactly like Photoshop's default round brushes.

9)Have a polygonal lasso tool like Photoshop.

10)Have a line tool like Photoshop. The current line mode for brushes is stupid.

11)Fix the zoom(Photoshop is guilty of this too). Check out how Compupic Pro does their zoom/shrink. It's absolutely brilliant.

12)Have a good stamp tool like Photoshop's.

13)Let us use whatever tool we want on the Mixer pad. I hate the current tool on it.

Hawksmoor
10-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Nice idea - and seen the other ones you've put together...

You've brought up most of my gripes - so I'll only include

1) Working 32 bit Targas
2) Reduced brush lag on certain types

and lastly preventing Painter from being an increasing memory hog - at work I often have it open for hours - and I wish it didn't begin to suck more and more memory as time goes on - a sign that something leaky is happening under the hood, so to speak

Jinbrown
10-04-2003, 05:29 PM
Short suggestion because I don't want to take this topic off its course:

When you say something is "stupid", make it clear what you mean.

When you ask for something just like Photoshop has, describe the characteristics of that item that you want included in Painter.

As Rob suggested, make sure you fully understand the options available. For instance, one cause of "memory leak" is the fact that the Pre-built Brush File continues to grow as you paint and can grow very large, very quickly depending on which brush variants are used. The Painter scripts file also continues to grow up to having saved scripts for a maximum of 10 days. Libraries for brushes and art materials can use up too much memory if you've allowed them to become too large by adding to them.

Be specific, learn what's already available.

Then it's more likely that your request both can be considered and will be considered.

If you're not absolutely sure about something, post in a new thread to find out. Then add to this wish list if your request is still appropriate.

Lunatique
10-04-2003, 06:52 PM
When I say make it like Photoshop, I meant identical. ;) Photoshop's editing tools are so perfected that I don't really have any complaints. I wish I could say the same for Painter. If you're going to have editing tools, might as well make it powerful and easy to use, so that we don't have to to open up Photoshop just to access some functions.

Edit:

Line issue addressed in this thread: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92452

Hawksmoor
10-05-2003, 10:43 AM
Fair points.

Without wishing to go off topic tho I still tend to think that anything that makes a new user go 'damn... this seems slow' is 'broken' no matter the work around or reason. Yes - the brush file grows - but when it grows to an extent that my copy of the program is pulling in 512 or so of ram... its a problem - and one a programmer at Corel should have gone 'hmmm - y'know... there must be a way we can stop this happening...'

Whenever this kind of stuff occurs, or I see something in (any) package running slowly or erratically I tend to involuntarily compare it to other packages.

For example - watercolour brushes are pretty - but very slow touse, especially at larger sizes. And I can't help but use them thinking 'hmmmm - ones to avoid' - or to think of photoshop and the way this brush lag never occurs. (while appreciating that Painter has far superior brush tools in the first place of course... :) )

In the end I suppose I can never figure out why companies don't simply look around at the field they work in, study their competitiors and say 'listen -y'think our users might appreciate us making (say) gradiants more like photoshop? - it seems pretty popular...' (hence I agree completely with Lunatique about painter copying photoshop's editing tools...)

But this is now way off topic - so I'll shut up now.

tayete
10-05-2003, 10:59 AM
Just two things about the MIxer:

I wish the colours you pour on the mixer didn't blend with Mixer's background colour (white, etc...I have it fixed to a neutral brown).

I wish the mixer could mix pigment colours instead of light colours. I mean, that mixing blue and yellow resulted in green... But I guess this is quite complex to implement.

VShane
10-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Rotation and scale, are the absolute worst I ahve seen in a product. It doesn't size like you can see it, its a guessing game, and distort? Whoa ther ya go, distort something without being able to see a proxy image of what your distorting. Its a good thing I ahve Photoshop, I always have to ahve both programs open at the same time.

Spontaneous size changes, sometimes saving a file to PSD, it will take a typical image say, 4 x 5 @ 300 dpi and when i bring it into PhSp it somehow made it proportional but at 72dpi, but now its like 10 x 12 or something.

But I just get used to it and work around it, save extra files etc...

When you have Photoshop, some things just aren't worth an upgrade.

manfriday
12-24-2003, 02:34 PM
dodge and burn brushes that work right.

those tools are the olny things keeping me from using painter all the time

buzzz3d
01-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Custom palettes that you can edit, like adding a short descriptive name underneath each brush like shelves in Maya.

More control-points to distort an image or selection. (like a lattice, but then in 2d). And see a preview of that in the viewport.

MasonDoran
02-02-2004, 04:01 PM
the default workflow with brushes really slows me down.

I should be able to flip between a dozen different brushes without having to pick and choose....i should be able to use hotkeys to do ALL of it

eg: (i use photoshop as an example because they set the standards on UI) I would like to use a particular brush but have the freedom to change the falloff hardness/softness and even the mask it uses without having to use the brush editor or scroll through menus. It doesnt make sense to have 1 brush with 3 different variations in just size-there are hotkeys for that. Custom Palletes are just not enough to do this.

-it would eliminate tremendous redundancies in the brush presets, and speed things up....which means its a heck of lot easier to learn and use.

MasonDoran
02-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by buzzz3d
Custom palettes that you can edit, i.e. remove brushes from a custom palette

Mo

-this is all possible in 8.1 at least -read the help files on that

buzzz3d
02-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by 2byts
-this is all possible in 8.1 at least -read the help files on that

Are you sure about that? I thought I read somewhere that with the 8.1 upgrade custom palettes were back, but that you still couldn't edit them.

MasonDoran
02-03-2004, 01:32 PM
use shift while dragging the icon out of the custom pallette-

to rearrange the icons in the pallette -use shift while dragging

(all this is in the help files)

Katsushiro
02-03-2004, 08:47 PM
I'd love to be able to load more than one color on a brush. I know that right now you can, but only to a certain extent. For example you can paint with gradients, but only on projected or rendered brushes. I wan to be able to take and oil brush and load a color on each side and paint with that.

Maybe if they made an interface that would let you load the color onto the brush just like in traditional media. Some sort of 3dbrush with a palette.

eh who knows.

Oh! And the colored pencils brush set should be refined, the colors don't react quite like they should, instead of blending pigment they tend to become steadily darker with the addition of more colors....that is natural and to be expected, but the speed with which it takes place is waaaay to fast. It take squite a lot of colors to produce the muddy blackish/brown color that comes from dark red and blue. I just wish it reacted more like Prismacolor pencils do in real media, without me haveing to make a custom brush set.

Geode
02-24-2004, 03:00 AM
I would like the ability to see thumbnails of painter files in windows explorer like with just about every other graphic program on the planet. ;P
I would also like to see them build in a project function that lets you define a working file, and a "save out" file -- in other words, with one keystroke, I'd like to simultaneously save a .RIF file, and a .jpg, .tif, or whatever other universal file type I need at the moment, without having to keep going "save as..." and having to remember to keep saving as a RIF so as not to lose my layers and so forth.
I'd also like the file extensions to not be capitalized by default.
But I think in Painter 8 they changed that; I'm using 7 now. :\
I also like the many of the old Painter 5 brushes much better than those in Painter 6 and forward. I wish they would at least have kept the oil brushes the same. I still use the oil brushes from painter 5 but they don't work well on layers. the new oil brushes just don't cut it for me. I really liked the way the old ones moved the pixels around while blending hue.
Well that's about it. I'm a confirmed Painter addict so I don't have too many other complaints. I've used it since the first version and I've used Photoshop since its second version, and I still prefer Painter for artistic painting projects.

weakfish
02-27-2004, 03:56 PM
:bounce: :thumbsup:

guardonduty
03-23-2004, 06:53 PM
I have Paiter 3D developed by Metacreations and was about to buy Painter 8 when I discovered that you can not import 3D models. Where do I go for the feature capability that Painter 3D had. Will Lightwave 8 have them. TIA

buzzz3d
03-23-2004, 08:07 PM
You should probable check out Deep Paint 3d.

ryders
04-06-2004, 05:44 PM
You can throw down symmetry in a 3D app, why can't you throw down an axis in 2D and have the brush mimic your actions along that plane?

Self-Designer
04-07-2004, 03:27 PM
I think you have to wish photoshop had great brushes like painter with tracing before drawing instead of wishing so many wishes of painter... ;)

Well, let say Adobe buys painter and takes all its advantages above photoshop and put them in it, what would u wish?

I want them to add Eclipse (http://www.aevermann.com/)'s features in it too! :bounce:

Well, ok... i have anything smarter to say :surprised

buzzz3d
04-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by ryders
You can throw down symmetry in a 3D app, why can't you throw down an axis in 2D and have the brush mimic your actions along that plane?

Can't you just duplicate the layer and flip it?

Hwee
04-23-2004, 04:42 AM
Layers in .frm!

artcheese
05-22-2004, 07:52 PM
I'd like the 'Color Info' Palette to remember which mode I'm in (RGB or HSV) from session to session. Switching from RGB to HSV at the beginning of every painting session is just one more step.

Better base brushes.

Better navigation of large images - for example, the resizeable/repositionable Navigator in PS would be ideal.

"New View" command.

Jinbrown
05-23-2004, 08:48 AM
artcheese,

Something that is already available in Painter 8, along with the small view of the overall image available in the Info palette (Window > Show Info) is the Navigation window. To use it:

Zoom in on your image.

Click the Navigation icon (binoculars) in the lower left corner of the image window.

Another small view of the entire image, a little more than twice the size of the Info palette view, opens with a red rectangle describing the currently visible area of the image.

Click and drag the red rectangle to go to another area of the image.

Click in the image to close the Navigation window's overall view of your image and continue working.

Hawksmoor
05-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Looking back on the package since my last post and that I'm more familiar with it my "What I'd like to see in Painter 9" is:

Better implementation of layers -I'd like to be able to chose any two layers and collapse them together irrespective of whether or not they're grouped, and especially if they're types other than 'default'

2 point perspective - I'm not greedy, 3 would be lovely, but hey.

Better photo manipulation tools -the orientation tools are adequate - but fairly primitive compared to Photoshop's. the distort tool for example doesn' display in real time (at least on any computer I've used) and the colour adjust doesn't allow you to observe more than a small section of the picture being altered.

The ability to rotate paper textures - Papers in Painter are great, but I'd like a tool similar to the rotational one in the gradient box that allows me to decide which angle I want to paint on bricks, cracks and so forth

Fixed Targas - the Targa format is utterly broken and at present unable to properly save out alpha maps. Given I work in games this is a pretty bad oversight - painter is better at PS at creating textures thanks to its excellent tiling abilities -but Targas don't save their alpha channel info which is bad as most games companies use them as the default texture format. This ones always struck me as an odd flaw - as Photoshop 7 came out with exactly the same problem - and within a week Adobe had fixed the problem witha 50 k download.....

Lastly an improved return to the dynamic plug ins would be very helpful making them similar to PS's layer effects. The ability to set up a layer as "anything drawn on this is created with a 'bevel/glow/drop-shadow/etc'" is a useful one and get used constantly in PS while the Painter equivalents feel very heavy handed and much less practical. I'd like them to update in real time so if I make a layer a bevel layer ANYTHING I paint on it has said bevel applied.

Oh, and lastly it would be handy to have the ability to dock more of the brush creator to the upper tool bar - so we could adjust the brushes on the fly without having to hit ctrl - B

Still - BRILLIANT package - and wonderful to use...

Nolita
05-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Sorry but I for one would hate it if Adobe bought Painter, and then added Painter features to photoshop, and did away with painter. I like Painter, warts and all, way better than photoshop for painting. All this Photoshop's way better stuff is a crock...Photoshop is better for many things but Painter's better for many things as well.

This is just my opinion, and not worth a hill of beans, but isn't the reason you use different apps, because they're, well, different? One stop shopping just sounds way too much like Wal-mart to me. Yes I can go to Wal-Mart and buy many different things, almost everything under the sun. Still if I want Canson Paper I have to go to an art supply store, if I want an amazing bottle of wine I have to go to a shop that specializes in vintage wines. I could go on and on, and don't think I'm afraid to, just look at some of my other posts.

Oh and as I basically skimmed some of the posts in this thread I may have missed something, but you can more or less rotate and scale and basically see how much you've done so..it's just a matter of moving the window that pops up and then clicking and dragging like you would in any other app, no it's not the same as with other apps, but then with other apps you have to wait forever for a single blender stroke to work, and you don't get that cool pixel pushing action of smeary brushes. Gimme ArtRage and Painter, with some Photoshop and I'm a happy girl. I don't want more from Painter than Painter can give, well, except for that cool two colors on the brush at the same time thing...I'm trying to make a variant that does that but so far I've had very little luck.

smoothoperator
06-18-2004, 02:52 AM
The first post hit the mark BIG TIME! I hope they impliment all that in version 9 those are on my wish list too. On top of that changing from RGB to HSV every frikin time is such a pain. I'm sure they can change that.

It would be great to get the best of photoshop's functions but I'm wondering if Corel has not only the budget and capabilities BUT ALSO the LEGAL RIGHTS to get real close to those features implimented into Painter.

One wish item that I think wasn't said that I would love is: brush position cursor. Currently there is 2 options(OIL BRUSH I USE). The little brush icon which is anoying OR the single pixel which you lose sight of everytime! LOL Why not make the single pixel the actual size of the brush?? OR am I missing an option that is unknown to me?

The littlest things count
I hope someone from Corel is listening.

+smooth+

Nolita
06-20-2004, 08:29 AM
Say, Smooth Operator,

Have you double checked your preferences? Only asking because if you have them set to enable brush ghosting when possible, you can see a ghost of your brush of choice. It doesn't work for every brush in every version, but it does work for many. Also, there is the option of a sort of triangle shaped thingie.

smoothoperator
07-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Nolita, the brush size becomes a single pixel when the wacom pen hits the tablet. Once the pen is lifted then you see the size. I wish to have the option to view the size throughout or not. :)

catnip
07-06-2004, 01:25 AM
Looking back on the package since my last post and that I’m more familiar with it my “What I’d like to see in Painter 9” is:

<snip>

The ability to rotate paper textures – Papers in Painter are great – but I’d like a tool – similar to the rotational one in the gradient box – that allows me to decide which angle I want to paint on bricks, cracks and so forth

Fixed Targas – the Targa format is broken – and at present unable to properly save out alpha maps. Given I work in games this is a pretty bad oversight – painter is better at PS at creating textures – thanks to its excellent tiling abilities – but Targas don’t save their alpha channel info – which is bad – as most games companies use them as the default texture format. This ones always struck me as an odd flaw - as Photoshop 7 came out with exactly the same problem - and within a week Adobe had fixed the problem witha 50 k download.....

<snip>

Oh – and lastly it would be handy to have the ability to dock more of the brush creator to the upper tool bar - so we could adjust the brushes on the fly without having to hit ctrl - B

Still - BRILLIANT package - and wonderful to use...
Hawksmoor: I totally agree with you about the Targa issue. I use Hash Animation:Master, and Targas are the best-supported image format in that app. For me, alpha channel support in Targas is a must-have, especially when using clip maps.

Also agree with you about rotating textures. I think I requested that on an earlier Corel survey for Painter, but it didn't make it in.

I don't really like the new Brush Creator - I preferred the old brushes palettes from Painter 4 and 5. You could adjust brush characteristics on the fly, rather than having to open up the Brush Creator, which just seems to interrupt my workflow.

A couple of suggestions of my own:

1. Something akin to "Add Noise" like in Photoshop. This is a real boon when creating wood textures or the irises of eyes when combined with a motion blur. It also helps to add graininess and color variation to skin maps.

2. Grayscale support - This would be especially helpful for creating various types of maps (bump, specularity, etc.) You can create a pseudo-grayscale map by using desaturation, but the file is still RGB and thus the file size is larger.

shivacola
07-09-2004, 02:31 PM
1.Flexible opacity like photoshop !!! (painter opacity slider sux, mean no changes when slider more then 20%)

2. Preferences ....interface color change like painter 7

Dave Perry
07-15-2004, 06:25 PM
I haven't read this whole thread and this may have been mentioned, but here is my wish to end all wishes for a future Painter incarnation:

Make it an option to define a selection on the canvas and be able to modulate color hue and value directly from the color wheel. In other words, when you move the cursor around the color wheel and within the value triangle, you immediately see the changes to the color inside the microscopic little preview square next to the color wheel. Make it possible to have those immediate, real time changes appear within a defined selection of the canvas without having to use paint bucket, so the the changes are smooth and continuous but appear on the canvas in the context that they will appear in the finished work. This would be an almost immeasurably valuable tool in establishing and fine tuning color harmony within the piece because it would almost inifintely speed up the process of trial and error in selecting colors and values.

Dave

qimao
07-23-2004, 03:28 PM
:twisted:好

Jinbrown
07-24-2004, 05:56 AM
I haven't read this whole thread and this may have been mentioned, but here is my wish to end all wishes for a future Painter incarnation:

Make it an option to define a selection on the canvas and be able to modulate color hue and value directly from the color wheel. In other words, when you move the cursor around the color wheel and within the value triangle, you immediately see the changes to the color inside the microscopic little preview square next to the color wheel. Make it possible to have those immediate, real time changes appear within a defined selection of the canvas without having to use paint bucket, so the the changes are smooth and continuous but appear on the canvas in the context that they will appear in the finished work. This would be an almost immeasurably valuable tool in establishing and fine tuning color harmony within the piece because it would almost inifintely speed up the process of trial and error in selecting colors and values.

Dave We're already most of the way there and have been for several, if not all Pianter versions.

Don't use the Paint Bucket tool!

Instead, make your selection and use Ctrl/Command+F to open the Fill dialog, make sure Current Color is checked, then begin moving the Hue Ring and Saturation Triangle circles around to get the color you want. In the Fill Preview window, you can click and drag to view the edges of your selection and see how the color works with other colors. Click the OK button when you're happy with the color.

It would be nice if we could see the color change dynamically in the actual image, so that's all that's missing (if I understand what you're asking for).

Something else you can do is to use the Mixer palette or mix on another Canvas to get some nice colors going so you can see in advance how they work together, then use Ctrl/Command+F, click the Mixer palette Dropper tool and slide it over the mixed paint 'til you see what in the Preview window.

Don't forget that, using either of these methods, while you're still in the Fill dialog box, you can also adjust Opacity and see that change in the Preview window.

If you're doing your selection color filling on a Layer, you have even more control with the Layer Opacity slider and Composite Methods options.

The Paint Bucket tool is fine if all you want to do is PLOP! a certain color down. It's not so good for controlling color fills, though.

catnip
07-31-2004, 12:52 AM
Oh, yeah, one more thing... I wish Painter for Windows didn't have the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons reversed. I don't know how many times I've hit the wrong button! :eek:

ajsa51
04-25-2005, 11:59 AM
The custom palettes really bug me some times:scream: . It would be nice if you could edit the contents of a palette instead of having to delete it and start all over again. If you make a mistake and put a brush in that you really didn't want in....well...too bad...it's stuck in there. It would be nice too, if you could move the brushes around within the palette and, as mentioned by someone else, be able to name them instaed of having to wait for a help balloon to pop up. Also...what's up with the auto custom palette numbering? DOH! not too smart....LOL...but, as you can rename them....that's neither here nor there.

SpeccySteve
04-25-2005, 12:26 PM
The custom palettes really bug me some times:scream: . It would be nice if you could edit the contents of a palette instead of having to delete it and start all over again. If you make a mistake and put a brush in that you really didn't want in....well...too bad...it's stuck in there. It would be nice too, if you could move the brushes around within the palette .

You can do this already-to remove a brush hold shift then drag it out of the palette, to move the contents of a palette about, again hold shift then drag.

-Steve

ajsa51
04-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Awesome! thanks for the tip on custom palettes Steve.:thumbsup:

rogfa
04-28-2005, 03:31 AM
Don't know if it's been mentioned. I'd like to see dual monitor support for the PC version. The workaround does work but it's kinda annoying.

olduttycruff
05-04-2005, 05:03 PM
After messing with Studio Paint version 12 I would like to see painter impliment a way easily create mask just like Studio Paint 12

Studio Paint 12 has this option where lets say you want to build seperate curves (or in painter case paths) , each of which would be on the respective sides of any object you want to mask.
Studio Paint has a way for you to you to select the seperate curves or paths to create mask in the closed in area, and all of this would be done by just having the curves intersect each other due to a slight overbuild which in turns creates a boxed in space which wold become the mask.

If there is a way to do this can someone please tell me

HorrorShow
09-27-2005, 04:23 PM
I wish that Painter XI had the adjustable color palette layout from painter 7

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2005, 04:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.