PDA

View Full Version : Using Maya model in openGL

Ravikant
10-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Hi all,
I am doing a project on 'Hand Modeling for Surgery Simulation'. I have a hand model in Maya and I want to use this model in openGL. I needed some guidance regarding following questions. I hope you won't mind answering them.

1. Would it be possible/advisable, if I export a static model from Maya to openGL (using COLLADA or some other mean) and then attach skeleton and IK handles to that model using Maya API in the C/C++ code itself, to have a model that can be animated? Basically I have inverse kinematic handles attached to my model to make it animate in Maya. I want to have the same functionality in openGL.

2. How are Maya models used in movies, games, virtual environments etc.? In games and virtual environments these models respond to the inputs from users in a dynamic way, and there are games written in openGL and C/C++ that have Maya models...so I would like to know How exactly do they use them?

If you need more details on my project, I will be happy to share them with you. If you have any other idea/comment regarding these question, please feel free to tell me.

Thanks and Regards,
Ravikant Bhargava

Windows90
10-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Display model created from maya using openGL is easy. You can export your model in .obj format and read them in your application. The obj-reading code can be found on the Internet.

For animated data I think it may be possible with fbx-reading library or something like that. But not sure. Good luck.

Ravikant
10-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Hi, sorry for being late in reply...I read about .fbx format but found that there are better format available now a days and it lacks in material, texture etc. moreover I couldn't find a way to load .fbx file in my openGL code. I may have to write a loader myself, in that case I would prefer COLLADA format...but that also is said to have no or less support for IK handles of Maya, which are an important part of my model made in Maya. Do you know whether .fbx has support for IK handles. like is it possible for me to access them after importing the model in openGL?

Cheers,
Ravikant Bhargava

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2010, 05:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.