PDA

View Full Version : How to study Andrew Loomis? Im stuck..

Jinx161
10-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I am trying to read at least cover to cover the Andrew Loomis books, Figure Drawing, Successful Drawing, and Creative Illustration before taking Roberts class here in a couple weeks. However I am getting stuck, for instance, on figure drawing for all its worth, one example shows how to draw the arm in an arc, and shows the box/grid, and then it just says, now draw it until it looks right.
That to me makes sense, but it is very vague at the same time, and when I am struggling to figure out why I cannot grasp the concept or use that knowledge without looking at the book as reference and copying I get stuck. I have draw the simple skeleton in many angles, and have added to it the body, male and female, and studied the proportions, however when I get to some of the other examples that are kinda vague I am lost without copying the example.
Now I have not been in a class or really have been required to do any major studying or anything of that nature since high school, and my intro to drawing class a few years back. I've been in the Marine Corps. and I seem to have lost a lot of my "how to study smart" ability lol. So forgive my ignorance, I have heard this same problem before, with no answer so any input would be great.

Lunatique
10-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Copying and drawing out of your head are two very different things. One can be achieved by simply observation and measuring, while the other requires you to study anatomy and figure and actually master them to a certain level before you can draw competently out of your head. Don't worry, the workshop is coming soon and this stuff is covered. For now, just being able to copy something very well is already enough of a challenge for a novice I think.

redpandafire
10-17-2010, 08:29 PM
The short answer: The arm just has to "look right".

The long answer: The Loomis study you're talking about got me confused as well. It means well but the execution of it was pretty darn complex when I was studying it a few months ago. In fact I never went back to the excercise because it thoroughly alienated me from my drawings. Instead, I moved on. Went to draw portraits, study anatomy, read the novel by Harold Speed called the "The Practice and Science of Drawing". And observed many many excellent illustrations. Practiced some more charcoal work, and dabbled a bit into 3D sculpting.

What I'm saying is that if you get stuck, and have tried your hardest, its okay to admit defeat and move on. Drawing for me has been a constant battle of attaining knowledge and attaining my own style. If the knowledge part of the equation is being a straight up jerkface at the moment, I focus on drawing things I enjoy drawing and I defer the technical aspects for another day. In the end I found myself learning more while having fun, than while struggling to comprehend excercises from centuries past.

Just my experience with Loomis. I'll probably go back to it today actually, now that I've read this post. =) Good luck!

Jinx161
10-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah now that I am taking Roberts workshop, I am struggling to even keep up with the reading let alone assignments due to my work schedule. I am in management for sales with my company, so its always demanding of my time, extra hours with no notice, and stressful sometimes. Its all numbers and the bottom line, and with lay offs, I need to make sure I protect myself. So I have put Loomis aside and learning a lot with Robert. Its much to absorb and I keep re reading it but I need to catch up as I am a real novice compared to most of the class.
I think after this Loomis will make much more sense to me and be easier to absorb the valuable lessons within.

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2010, 07:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.