PDA

View Full Version : character studio vs bones

TrenZ
10-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Hi all!!!
At fisrt, i hope you forgiveme for my english...
At second, i just start to animate characters, so... my question
what i start to learn to animate with?
with bones or with biped?
and... why?
Thanks very much !!!

:hmm:

TrenZ
10-03-2003, 06:17 PM
excuse me... i use 3d max 5.1, thanks...

Downpour
10-14-2003, 03:46 PM
I would say bones as it will give you a better understanding of how things like I.K. controllers work, they also offer a lot more flexibility in terms of what sort of characters you can create. Character studio gives you faster results with simple biped setups however so you should learn this too once you have mastered standard Max bones and IK.

TrenZ
10-14-2003, 09:22 PM
Thanks very much for your anser...
And one more question.... with bones... how i freeze the hands and foots like with biped?

by the way... i really like your alien models.. threre´re absolutely increible.

Downpour
10-15-2003, 03:39 PM
It's simple you don't need to! Character studio Bipeds are set up in a bit of an awkward way, if you have rigged up a character using Max bones, your feet should stay where you put them. Have a look at this tutorial on how to set up and animate a character using Max Bones...

Max Tutorials at www.taffix.com (http://www.taffix.com/Tutorials/Tutsidebar.htm)

....click on bones, then bones rigging on the sidebar...

I really like this guys method of animating in this tutorial. To be honest Character Studio can be a real pain with all the messing around you have to do with positioning your bipeds Pelvis and locking the feet in place. This guys method does all that hard work for you and automatically positions the Pelvis by taking an average of the location of the two feet (Basically a Position Constraint on the Pelvis with the feet as targets). You just move the feet where you want and the rest is sorted out for you.

Cheers for checking out my site by the way.

lordmachuca
10-23-2003, 04:28 AM
defintly learn bones but if you need something quick and fast character studio's great

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.