PDA

View Full Version : Lighting & shading plug-ins,groups,words?

hdrockzz
09-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Hello all..!
(Okay if i have posted this in wrong section then plz move it to correct section.)

I finished my graduation (B.Sc animation) with specialization in "Lighting & texturing". Then i start to come to CGtalk on regular basis, reading comments, looking at people's work. Then i noticed weird words, like "Octane render", "Xfrog plug-in" etc. Now i googled them & know what they means, but this makes me think i am 5-10 years behind everyone :(
How can i know names of plug-ins which the indstry use, or words/techniques which are used now! I have never heard of SSS shaders, because in my college only Maya shaders/mentalray shaders were taught, & makes me feel low...

So how can i keep myself updated with all the terminology,plug-in details,rendering,lighting,texturing details??

ndeboar
09-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Go to a VFX conference, like Siggraph/view/aeaf, you get a good idea what the "hot" new techniques are.

And keep reading things like cg talk, maybe subscribe to 3d world. There are always things you pick up on the job, it's hard to know everything.

Oh, and reading documentation isnt always a bad idea, the mental ray/renderman docs are not to bad.

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2010, 11:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.