PDA

View Full Version : Normals

Xetil
09-29-2010, 02:22 PM
hi, just wondering if someone are able to explain why normals sometimes has to be reversed? Sometimes i forget about it, and have ended up with some big problems. Is there a way to work in order to prevent normals from being in the wrong direction?

Teloni
09-29-2010, 10:03 PM
I find reversed normals usually occur when you create new geometry with commands like bevel and extrude. Usually the software will try its best to face the normals the correct way, but for whatever reason, it fails occasionally.

A good way to spot flipped normals in Maya is to turn OFF two sided lighting in the viewport so that faces with reversed normals appear black.

Xetil
09-30-2010, 07:41 AM
ah yes thats right, i guess its hard to prevent, but backface culling spot it right away.
Thank you for answer

Piflik
10-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Also keep in mind that when you mirror an object it is essentially a negative scale...most 3D apps still show the faces from the front, but when you export the model, the normals will be flipped...

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2010, 06:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.