PDA

View Full Version : Technical Artist - Demo Reel 2010

ArrantSquid
09-29-2010, 02:09 AM
I just finished up my schooling at the Illinois Institute of Art - Chicago and wanted to get some feedback on my reel. I apologize for not having a breakdown of it, but I'll put a rough breakdown after the link.

John P. Neumann - Technical Artist Reel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DfQK6ulmsA)

Reel Breakdown:
0:0 - 0:22 - AutoRigger Initial Setup
0:23 - 0:39 - Skeleton Creation and Partial Rig Features
0:40 - 1:09 - Auto-Weighting and the Rest of the Rigs Features
1:10 - 1:26 - Tangent Switcher Script
1:27 - 1:37 - Quadruped "Webblecur" Rig
1:38 - 2:09 - QuickPlayblast Script
2:10 - 2:16 - Credits/Contact Info

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Kanga
09-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Just some quick impressions.

Loose the metal track, it makes everything nervous. When you are wriggling stuff around it looks like it is in quick motion. The graphic design on the intro and outtro look a bit toxic, try make them look more classy. I am not sure the GUI is interesting, if that was gone would the model itself be larger in screen?

Looks pretty good though.

ArrantSquid
09-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Just some quick impressions.

Loose the metal track, it makes everything nervous. When you are wriggling stuff around it looks like it is in quick motion. The graphic design on the intro and outtro look a bit toxic, try make them look more classy. I am not sure the GUI is interesting, if that was gone would the model itself be larger in screen?

Looks pretty good though.

Thanks for the feedback! As far as the music goes, what would you suggest instead? And you are correct that it is indeed in quick motion. If I made it any slower it would have drawn it out too long. And which GUI are you talking about? The tangent switcher?

Thanks for the feedback!

Kanga
09-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Look at the best reels and take a lead from those. Music is just background anyhow. In fact notice everything about those reels.

Size and quality of image.
Hosting.
Movement.
Whole facial rigs not just the lips. So what is being shown.
Presentation graphics.

everything

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2010, 03:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.