PDA

View Full Version : Wich FP format you like best for animation?

anieves
10-03-2003, 02:21 PM
I was wondering which FP format you prefer for post work in After Effects. I was leaning towards cineon because I think that's the only one supported in AFX. The only problem we have seen with cineon is that in AFX when the sequence is imported in, the images look kinda grey and washed out which is not what we see in the LW FP Image viewer. So, what do you use?

anieves
10-03-2003, 10:29 PM
either one: or nobody render sequences with an FP format or nobody gives a royal crap about my threads:annoyed: :surprised

robinson
10-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by anieves
either one: or nobody render sequences with an FP format or nobody gives a royal crap about my threads:annoyed: :surprised

I donít use after effects ! :p
btw dfx+ is great, I always render .rpf or psd....

Cman
10-04-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by anieves
I was wondering which FP format you prefer for post work in After Effects. I was leaning towards cineon because I think that's the only one supported in AFX. The only problem we have seen with cineon is that in AFX when the sequence is imported in, the images look kinda grey and washed out which is not what we see in the LW FP Image viewer. So, what do you use?

The reason the images look grey is the cineon file is 10bit-log but AFX only displays 8bit-linear.
You have to use the converter plugin effect to see the frames normally.

Here's an answer I found on wwug.com, searching cineon in AFX forum

written by Matt Silverman
Photoshop files can be written (and loaded) 16bit.

I just did a shot for broadcast that was zoom on a 4k cineon scan. I immediately used Cineon convertor to go log to lin, color corrected, then rendered that to a 16bit PS sequence. I then finished the shot 16bit, rendered to Digital Voodoo 10bit and off to Smoke for the conform. If I was going to film, then I would keep it int the Cineon format throughout.
hth

Rumpus King
10-04-2003, 03:28 AM
AE isn't really known for it's FP work...mainly because only able to do 16-bit, not float.

If you're using cineon files, you'll wanna visit Effects/Channel/Cineon Converter.

anieves
10-05-2003, 12:02 AM
cool, thanks for shedding some light!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.