PDA

View Full Version : Maya Api Software Distribution Issue

sassimicah
09-27-2010, 10:27 AM
My question concerns the api and the term ‘open product’ could any of you explain to me in a detail more than what is in the help files
“Autodesk® Maya® is an open product. This means that anyone outside of Autodesk can change Maya’s existing features or add entirely new features. There are several ways you can modify Maya: “

My concern relates to distribution after the changes will the user defined ‘maya’ require an Autodesk license for distribution or will it be up to user discretion?
My other concern relates to dependencies that are required to run a stand alone app. Previously stand alone apps ran on console but with python there’s a project called wxmaya, a Google code project which allow a GUI to be defined at least through the python API.
http://code.google.com/p/wxmaya/
That being said stand-alone apps are very limited to some of the projects I would have cared to handle. The alternative is to add features to the existing maya install but do I get the right to distribute this ‘new maya’ at least internally within a studio or do I have to purchase new licenses or a network license and then distribute it?
Wiki quote:
“An important feature of Maya is its openness to third-party software, which can strip the software completely of its standard appearance and, using only the kernel, transform it into a highly customized version of the software. This feature in itself made Maya appealing to large studios, which tend to write custom code for their productions using the provided software development kit.”

I am just getting into the maya API as a consideration for future production so right now I’m still in R&D stage of it all.thank you for your response

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2010, 10:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.