PDA

View Full Version : Somebody please help:( - I **** at texturing!

Wancieho
05-29-2002, 01:09 PM
I've modelled this character and want to texture him. I have looked around for tutorials but I just never seem to find anything i'm looking for.

Basically I have unwrapped him using the Texporter plugin (i'm using Max) and open the image in Photoshop. Now I stare at the screen a whole lot and don't even know where to begin. I just can't seem to understand where a person starts. I normally land up just painting a little bit of colour and then giving up.

If someone can point my in the direction where I can become a texturing guru that would be cool:)

Wancieho
05-29-2002, 01:15 PM
Complete:

sireel
05-29-2002, 01:26 PM
I'm kind of stuck in the same boat with you. I have a high poly characters head that I made a cylindrical uv to, then did a uv unwrap and moved around the points, then texported it and took it to photoshop. I've painted it exactly the way I want but when I apply it back to the image it doesn't look good. Looks messy and it doesn't seem to be in the right spots. kind of annoying and I've scowered the internet for tuts but none really helped. Maybe someone here can help.

leigh
05-29-2002, 02:40 PM
Hey there Vaughan :)
Sorry I haven't emailed for a while - our outgoing mail at work is up the creek, so I haven't been able to send any email for ages.... :sad:
But onto the matter at hand...
Firstly, take it one piece at a time. Seperate the mesh logically, and unwrap the different pieces.
Umm... it's actually really simple when you know what is going on. Try posting some of your unwraps here so I can help you :)
I know that at first it seems really really daunting and confusing, but don't worry, in no time you'll be thinking "I can't believe I couldn't do this before"...

Sir Eel - the same goes for you. Post your stuff here so we can help you!

Wancieho
05-29-2002, 02:58 PM
It's really really lame but hey:)
BTW, how the heck does a person post 2 images in one post?

leigh
05-29-2002, 03:05 PM
Well, that looks fine :wip:
I'm not sure what the problem is - JUST PAINT ONTO IT!! :bounce:
Just keep in mind though, that with UV unwraps, the texture image often tends to pull towards the corners of the polys, so sometimes you find that you have to go back and adjust your image to compensate for that...

Oh, and to attach more than one image, you need to have them uploaded somewhere and then you use the IMG link option :)

Wancieho
05-29-2002, 03:34 PM
sorry 'bout the delay

Wancieho
05-29-2002, 03:36 PM
I just hate painting with the mouse:(
BTW, what is a good resolution for my map? 800x400 etc.

leigh
05-29-2002, 04:07 PM
Ummm for resolution, I never go anything below 1000x1000...
Ok, I see your color map there :)

Now just add loads of cool detail :bounce: It's simple. I know it isn't easy to do with a mouse though... Have you considered getting a wacom? You can get an A5 Graphire at Incredible Connection for about R1000. And it's really worth it :thumbsup:

It makes painting small delicate details much less of a hassle.
Your best bet when texturing faces is to have a lot of reference photo's of faces so that you can see what kind of detail you need to add, and where.
For instance - people's noses and cheeks are usually redder/pinker than the other areas of the face. So put that in. Then add freckles and blemishes and spots and stuff. Just look at the detail and add it in!

Wancieho
05-30-2002, 08:54 AM
Okay will try but this is gonna take a while:) I just can't seem to get my mind around it.

Wancieho
05-30-2002, 12:02 PM
Well, this is my final product. Can't spend more time on this, maybe a tweak or two (with input from Leigh:)). Gotta apply physique again and start animating!

Complete:
http://www.3dart.co.za/cgtalk/11.jpg

Close up:
http://www.3dart.co.za/cgtalk/12.jpg

Material:
http://www.3dart.co.za/cgtalk/head.jpg

Specularity map:
http://www.3dart.co.za/cgtalk/head_gloss.jpg

sireel
05-30-2002, 12:47 PM
Leigh - Sorry I havn't been able to post, all my stuff is at home and I can't get to it just yet, but basically it looks the same as Wancieho's results. I have a UV cylindrical wrap of my joker models head, I unwrap it and move the verts around so there is no overlapping, I take it to texporter and get similar results to Wan's, I paint onto it all the details that I need but when I throw it back on all of the details get shifted around! don't know what I'm doing wrong. I even tried applying the meshsmooth afterwards but I got similar results. I'll post some pic, up tonight for you on this, but do you have any initial thoughts?

Wan - Leigh and some others encouraged me to purchase a wacom tablet and I got myself a Graphire 2 for 99 bucks at wacom.com It is just about the coolest and usefull tool I have ever had. best money I ever spent. highly recommended.

leigh
05-30-2002, 01:02 PM
Sir Eel - in what way exactly does the image shift around? Because, when using UVs, you have to keep in mind that the image gets "pinned" down on all the poly corners when applied - so often when the mesh gets subdivided/smoothed, it tends to shift them. Also, using 3-point polys can seriously mess up your image maps...
You see, I'm actually not familiar with texporter (as I don't use Max anymore), so I'm wondering if maybe this is a texporter problem :surprised
Why not try using the screen capture method and see what happens??

Wancieho - well, looking at that, I think the main thing that needs to be tweaked is the colour of the lips - make them redder on the outside, getting pinker as they get closer to the teeth. Don't overdo the red though - you don't want it to look like he's wearing lipstick ;)
Also, vary the spec around the lips - you have made it solid white, when there should be variations, similar to the way a lip bump map would be (and the colour variations you have in your colour map). By the way, are you using a bump map?? Because the lips really need a stronger bump...
Also make a gloss map for the lips.
Another thing you should consider is a diffuse map for the skin (not the diffuse channel in Max's default material though - you have to use a raytrace material to get true diffusion). That would add richness to the skin.

Wancieho
05-30-2002, 01:03 PM
Cool will check it out. As for my model i'm happy with the results as there won't be any REALLY close-up shots of him:)

sireel
05-30-2002, 02:07 PM
sorry left me clarify (I don't think I explained very clearly before about thee shifting around)
I meant hat the eyebrows that I painted didn't com out exactly where I wanted them, and the bump map ended up bumping off into the wrong areas and the red of the lips (he has very thin lips) go ff in such a way that it makes it look like he was trying to pu on lip in a car with shock problems.
I will try the screenshot method tonight but I don't think texporter is the problem, I think I'm the problem here :(

leigh
05-30-2002, 02:20 PM
Hey Sir Eel - hmmmm. Umm I'm racking my brain trying to think what it is that is causing your problem...
When texporter exports your image, does it automatically size the template correctly??
Because UV co-ordinates usually use a standard size ratio, and if your texture image is not the correct size, then when you place it onto your surface, it won't look right.
The problem you describe with the lips sounds like a classic "pinning down" problem - as I mentioned previously the issue with where the image is "tacked" to the mesh. What kind of projection are you using??
You know what would really help? You should post a wireframe shot of your model and a copy of your image maps - that way I (and anyone else reading this) can get a clearer idea of what is going on...

Wancieho
05-30-2002, 03:05 PM
Okay thanks for the help I think I achieved what I needed to. Next character I texture i'll spend more time on but right now I have to start rigging:) Thanks Leigh.

http://www.3dart.co.za/cgtalk/12_1.jpg
http://www.3dart.co.za/cgtalk/12_2.jpg

leigh
05-30-2002, 03:20 PM
Hey see, the lips look much better now :thumbsup:
Great stuff :)
Looking forward to seeing him groove :bounce:

Wancieho
05-30-2002, 03:22 PM
Thanks, hopefully he'll be grooving before the weekend:)

sireel
05-30-2002, 04:14 PM
ok this is the joker pic I was talking about but I wasn't happy with the way I textured the face (basically it was don using opacity maps to show the bumps a darker color around the eyes, the the lips were selected faces that I added color too.

sireel
05-30-2002, 04:43 PM
heres a close up of the face.... you can see why I wante to retexture him

sireel
05-30-2002, 04:50 PM
I do a cylindrical uv wrap and then unwrap it and move around the verts to avoid overlap then I use texporter to get this (in this pic I didn't use unwrap to get rid of the overlap cause I'm at work and very very busy)

sireel
05-30-2002, 04:52 PM
I painted over the unwrapped jpeg in photoshop and got everything looking exactly the way I wanted but then when I placed it back onto the model the smeared lipstick look appeared again.

Wancieho
05-31-2002, 07:08 AM
Well I can maybe help you with the little knowledge I have but I dunno if it's gonna prove anything as you won't be able to learn for yourself. Have you got icq?

leigh
05-31-2002, 10:15 AM
Hey Sir Eel, could you post an image showing the way in which the lips screw up??
I think I know exactly what the problem is, but I need to see a render showing the messed up lips, and a wireframe render from the same angle to be sure. :)

Wancieho
05-31-2002, 04:35 PM
Images from my animation. Will post animation on monday.
http://3dart.co.za/cgtalk/who.jpg
http://3dart.co.za/cgtalk/stance.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.