PDA

View Full Version : How to get a wider FOV?

Yourworstnightmare
09-25-2010, 03:12 AM
I dislike how when I try to render an interior scene, either I don't get all I want to capture, I remove some walls to get a wider FOV, or It comes out distorted, how can I get a 150 degree FOV, without distorting the perspective? I use Mental Ray-Max, and Flamingo.

ganymede
09-28-2010, 05:24 AM
A 150 degree view is pretty intense without having any distortion. you could always take a few renders and stitch them together in photoshop with photomerge but that'd probably end up giving you distortion anyway.

catche
09-28-2010, 06:27 AM
yeah 150 degrees is definitely going to be distorted. if you're a max-user you can try adding the camera correction modifier on your camera, not quite sure if it will help but it's worth a shot.

InfernalDarkness
10-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Just like in real life, you'll never change your camera this much and not get spherical or distance distortion.

I run into this issue all the time. When I first meet a client an take photos, especially for bathroom remodels, rarely can I fit everything into one or two photos. And when rendering the viz in Maya, of course, I have the exact same issue.

Really, hiding walls is about all you can do. Set up your scene with walls on layers, so you can quickly do this. But if you want to render what your eyes see, 35mm is what you want of course.

ganymede
10-03-2010, 10:26 PM
just on the topic of distortion, does the scanline renderer or mental ray have an option for imperfect camera distortion (ie: spherical lens distortion)?

InfernalDarkness
10-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Not out of the box, but spherical lens shaders are certainly possible. Or you can simply recreate a camera lens and place it in front of your camera, of course!

Yourworstnightmare
11-09-2010, 02:19 AM
Just like in real life, you'll never change your camera this much and not get spherical or distance distortion.

I run into this issue all the time. When I first meet a client an take photos, especially for bathroom remodels, rarely can I fit everything into one or two photos. And when rendering the viz in Maya, of course, I have the exact same issue.

Really, hiding walls is about all you can do. Set up your scene with walls on layers, so you can quickly do this. But if you want to render what your eyes see, 35mm is what you want of course.

The issue with this is, I've been messing with Flamingo, and if a wall isn't shown, it can't bounce light, or cast shadows, so I'd need it to be there.

InfernalDarkness
11-09-2010, 02:58 AM
The issue with this is, I've been messing with Flamingo, and if a wall isn't shown, it can't bounce light, or cast shadows, so I'd need it to be there.

I don't recall ever having that problem with Flamingo. Perhaps there are settings involved which may help, but it's been years since I used it (with Rhino at the time).

ganymede
11-09-2010, 03:45 AM
i only use max so i'm not certain it would work without problems but is there not a way to enable the walls visibility to the camera without taking away its affect on GI? or perhaps a way to make the wall have an invisible back face?

MikeBracken
11-09-2010, 03:59 AM
In Max if you right click on the object and choose properties, you can uncheck "visible to camera" and still get the wall to bounce light, cast shadows, show up in reflections, etc.

You can also sometimes use camera clipping, depending on the shot.

Regards,
Mike

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2010, 03:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.