PDA

View Full Version : Travis Smith - Demo Reel - Art Institute of Vancouver SU2010

artbytravissmith
09-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Hi,

My name is Travis Smith and I recently graduated from the Art Institute of Vancouver in the 3D Modeling for Animation and Games program. This is my demo reel so far, I'm planning on adding some additional pieces within the next 1-2 months, more specifically a 3D portrait of my dad, and a model based on the hammerhead shark looking alien concept towards the end of my reel. I would be very grateful for any and all critiques. Hope you like it.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/15214472

wolfSage
09-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi Travis,
you have some nice work on your reel personally I think you need to work on the presentation a little more, it feels a bit confused at the moment. Your splash screen looks like a website with buttons to click. The first model is my favourite, well rendered. The last two 3D characters are so similar at first I thought it was the same one, I don't think you need to include both.
As for your drawing I feel you concepts at the end of the reel are much stronger than the cartoony concept at the beginning which I feel is you weakest piece and mistakenly the first thing an employer will see. Research shows you have about 2 seconds to really grab someone's attention, just think about advertising on the telly. You need a strong piece at the beginning to get peoples interest, then end on a high note so they remember you.

Good luck with your job hunting

artbytravissmith
09-25-2010, 09:38 PM
wolfSage,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

Should I drop the cartoony transition screens? the reason I used them is because I was hired to adapt these characters from a comic and I wanted to show the original art (the cartoon concept was made by someone else). I'll try to think of a more clear way to present the information.

As far as the last two characters would it be better if I showed them together?

Kanga
09-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Hi Travis.
Some stuff that would make the reel stronger would be animating the first creature if you have him in water. If you cant do that then I would put him on a turntable. Reason being, how he is now makes him look like a specimen of some sort.

Going back to the drawing in between the shots is unsettling.

The two creatures are not dissimilar enough to see that they are two models. I had the same thing wolfSage had. I would pick one and pose it.

Your concept drawings at the end are pretty good but they are all variations on one creature type. If you want character work I would vary them with human characters. This is all stuff you could do while sending out your reel.

artbytravissmith
09-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Kanga,

All three characters are going to be rigged by someone else but I'm unsure of the time frame. I will speak to some friends from school to see if any are interested in animating it.

As far as posing the last two characters, should I only use one or could I pose them together? because a friend of mine is already helping me render out a fur pass with them posed together as mother and child. Would that work well?

I will start working on some additional characters asap.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post!

-Travis

wolfSage
09-26-2010, 01:16 AM
Should I drop the cartoony transition screens? the reason I used them is because I was hired to adapt these characters from a comic and I wanted to show the original art (the cartoon concept was made by someone else). I'll try to think of a more clear way to present the information.

As far as the last two characters would it be better if I showed them together?

Personally I would drop the cartoony bit in that case, and yes I think posing the two other characters as mother and child would work. They need to be more distinct from each other.
If your using work by other people in your reel you need to make it very clear what you did.

artbytravissmith
09-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Personally I would drop the cartoony bit in that case, and yes I think posing the two other characters as mother and child would work. They need to be more distinct from each other.
If your using work by other people in your reel you need to make it very clear what you did.

wolfSage,

Thanks again! I'll try to get renders with the characters together as mother and child sometime in the next two weeks. It should give me some time to tweak the textures in Photoshop and or compositing to make sure the skin appears closer to my Orangutan reference.

As for the cartoon bit, I was thinking that I might show only one character at a time with the title (Original Comic Design by Arcana) to make it more clear.
Also, would it be a good idea to take some high resolution renders to highlight specific areas on the characters and which animals I was looking at for reference? and if so should I put that sort of thing in my breakdowns?

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2010, 09:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.