PDA

View Full Version : Direct use of 3D Scanned characters

piXelicidio
09-24-2010, 05:32 AM
I'm trying to convince my colleague that big films productions and video games, when using 3D scanned models from sculptures created by artists, they don't directly use this model obtained, but take it as a reference for a 3d artist to recreate the character from scratch....

Their arguments are based on seen Making Of various movies and video games, and have been hard to me to find arguments to convince him otherwise.
I think Making Of are sensationalist and only shows the nice part.

I have experience modeling and rigging characters and I know the importance of a clean mesh topology for a correct behavior of the character animation, and i think there is not magic scanners that can replace modeler yet.

I did a hard research before posting, trying to find arguments, examples of workflows from big companies, but i couldn't find anything valuable.

Would be a pleasure to hear your comments...
Thanks!

Dare-o
09-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Rigging/texturing/uving scan data would be ridiculously tedious. I really doubt any visual effect companies would even bother.

heres some info on how to rebuild from scan data, its a good read. Hopefully your friend figures things out. :p

http://www.asepulveda.com/2008/07/working-with-scan-data/

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2010, 06:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.