PDA

View Full Version : "Salesman Pete" 3D short film

Maxyth
09-21-2010, 11:36 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kWSfnngzt1w/TJiKrzF132I/AAAAAAAAAKo/bwaY_4LiZM8/s400/salesman_pete.jpg (http://vimeo.com/15126262)
http://vimeo.com/15126262

Hi, we are 3 students who dropped out of school to do this short !
It took us one year to finish it. We hope you'll like it.

ragdoll
09-21-2010, 12:47 PM
that.
was insane.

-rj

:beer:

ivanisavich
09-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Hey Max,

Saw this over at the Cartoon Brew....

The film is incredible....the art direction, visual style and attention to detail is just crazy. It was really a pleasure to watch.

My question, however, is...did you send it out to festivals? You might be shooting yourself in the foot by putting it online so soon because many of the larger festivals do not accept works that have appeared in full online. I can easily see this one being shortlisted for an Academy Award (considering that "Oktapodi"...another film with a similar visual style was nominated last year)....but you'll be disqualified if you put it up online before it has appeared in the prerequisite festivals.

AsaMovshovitz
09-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Brilliant work:)

leigh
09-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Simply fantastic work! Front page for you! This is absolutely one of the most stunning films I've ever seen posted here, if not the most stunning. Congratulations to all three of you for achieving such an incredible result of your efforts.

Somhairle
09-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Excellent work guys! Really well made with a whacky story! xD

Malanjo
09-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Super! :beer:
Really love the look you guys achieved! And awesome character's design development!
Good luck on the festivals!

Xitac
09-21-2010, 02:05 PM
This is soooo awesome! Front page!
Great work guys. I wish you all the best! :thumbsup:

mrtprodz
09-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Congratulations there is definitely lot of work behind this amazing looking short.

I was really looking forward to see this one!
I remember my reaction while watching the awesome trailer.

The art direction, camera work and editing are amazing! However I totally lost the sense of
the story while watching the short. Don't get me wrong I love the style and animation, it was
really well done, but the story and what's going on could have been a little more polished.
Also the sound editing and score could be a lot better. Felt a bit dry at times.

DuttyFoot
09-21-2010, 02:43 PM
This is really impressive work, congrats.

kyrandian
09-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Technically this is the most impressive student short I've ever seen!

Yanik
09-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Congrats. The whole style, character design and animation is just pure awesomeness. You guys should be proud at yourself!

Youplaboum
09-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Congratulation on your movie. The result is insane, that's the word. I really love art direction and animation in this. I think I've never seen such a perfect mix between 2D and 3D animation, maybe sometimes in 'Futurama' series... In fact, no, I've never seen such a smart integration of 3D in 2D (or the opposite ? :surprised )
Vous avez une belle carte de visite avec ça les gars, bravo :thumbsup:

dyb3k
09-21-2010, 03:03 PM
It is completely insane. Art direction is wonderful. Rigs are powerful and animation is fluid as hell.
Congrats and I wish you all the best. I guess that now you won't have problems in finding excellent jobs.
P.S. You French guys rules:)

Katachi
09-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Outstanding piece!

BigPixolin
09-21-2010, 03:13 PM
You guys are invincible! That was awesome.

kruke
09-21-2010, 03:31 PM
fantastic details, animation, storyboard, rendering, postprodution.. everything is awesome !
..realy master piece ;)

eXpaintz
09-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Maxyth this is visually stunning, incredible work! Congrats to all 3 of You!
Would You mind sharing some insights from the production ? (what software and stuff...:) )

cheers

kybel
09-21-2010, 04:37 PM
lovely art direction. i like the 2D/3D look to it. looks like something between the incredibles and powerpuff girls. excelent work

TerianSilva
09-21-2010, 04:50 PM
You definitely know your stuff! I am totally impressed by your work! Well done!!!

guitarmunkee
09-21-2010, 04:55 PM
I was waiting for this and the wait was well worth it! So so so good! Amazing work guys!

rodia
09-21-2010, 05:19 PM
héhé...c'est vraiment très beau...les salopards.
Really great and stunning graphics. You all made quite a progress this last year! I love all the references to sponge bob.
Good luck with your new life at Lille? See you someday to have a drink!!
salauds!! quelle belle grosse claque pour supinfocom!

Ballo
09-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Awesome!, really good, the begining is moderate. The character presentation is long but short is really nice with a lot of good and artistic detail.

Congrats for the frontpage, well deserved!

oppman
09-21-2010, 05:42 PM
This deserves to be a series or a feature film!! A great inspiration and piece to be remembered!

Noren
09-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Awesome! :)

kiittea
09-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Outstanding .....I absolutely love the way you've used color in this short... It was such a treat to watch, not to mention the story line and all the adrenaline pumping action....I have seen your blog quite a while ago and really loved those concept arts. I am so delighted that it is finally out ..
Great Job Guys. A well deserved front page :)

olimax1
09-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Tip Top...outstanding!!..something unique in this short ( ...even if it reminds me the short called "the building" ...using 2d/3d mix)...you guys take the best of this kind of approach...clever, punchy...crazy sense of details...just cool to watch..you reached the goal!!!

Sniffet
09-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Wow! I can see why you decided to drop out of school! You've got nothing left to learn :) Its wickedly good.. Speachless I am...

PapaNinja
09-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Brillant !

paul k.
09-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Great Great Job guys...

Would you please share your techniques for rendering your 3D stuff to look 2D.... would love to know the specifics of how that was done. thanks.

Enjoyed the film!

fabittar
09-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I'd like to see a making-of of that! This is great work.

Daroita
09-21-2010, 09:41 PM
...............Amazing!

maik-anton
09-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Really really nice work! top notch!

TheNeverman
09-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Looks like an incredible amount of work went into this...
You guys must of really enjoyed putting it together - and it shows!
Awesome work!

Jeggis
09-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Congratulations on an outstanding piece of short, guys! This was a true pleasure to watch!

Oh, I would also really enjoy seeing a breakdown for some of these shots. :)

mcteapot
09-21-2010, 11:22 PM
my jaw just dropped threw the floor!

Antropus
09-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Brilliant, incredible work :thumbsup:

JoshAdler
09-22-2010, 01:03 AM
From the minute I saw the trailer a few months ago I was drawn into this unique almost painterly style. Amazing short!

ThE_JacO
09-22-2010, 01:50 AM
Simply fantastic work! Front page for you! This is absolutely one of the most stunning films I've ever seen posted here, if not the most stunning. Congratulations to all three of you for achieving such an incredible result of your efforts.
My thoughts exactly.
This is an incredibly well conceived, art directed and executed piece of animation, leagues above anything indie and unsponsored I've probably ever seen produced by such a small crew (or even much larger ones come to that).

I'm not into posting just praise without critique usually, but there's not a frame in this that could be better really, My hat goes off to you guys.

The style is so hugely reminiscent of day of the tentacle too (one of my favorite games of all times)... Love it!

MN3M
09-22-2010, 02:14 AM
a pice of art :thumbsup:

tvining
09-22-2010, 03:40 AM
Not just technically great, but lots of fun! Reminds me a bit of Oktapodi, in its frenetic energy, hilarious slapstick, and excellent character design. Bravo!

SciFibrow
09-22-2010, 04:20 AM
Very similar snappiness to Oktopodi. Incredible for students, it's better than a lot of cartoons on tv today!

Booyah
09-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Great Great film, a real pleasure to watch, congrats to all of you, amazing.

AndyH
09-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Outstanding work. Exactly how i like to see CG used - in an innovative, semi-2d and expressive way, rather than some of the increasingly bland stuff we seem to see on our cinema screens.

Braveaux!

karaoke
09-22-2010, 07:13 AM
OMG !.. brilliant :surprised
please guys some making.. and what software you used for 3d and for postproduction

Vimmy
09-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Super :cool:

noizFACTORY
09-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Wow! Your effort and skills deserve a standing :bowdown:

I enjoyed the pacing and the animation a lot and the style was totally whacked out too. The music complemented it all extremely well!

Truly awesome work and looking forward to more from you guys in the future. Wish you folks all the best!

roctavian
09-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Amazing stuff guys.
I enjoyed every second.
Hat off.
Good luck in your journeys..

And, I`ll have to quote from YOUR movie:
"YOU`RE INVINCIBLE" :)

Amaroo
09-22-2010, 09:08 AM
I loved it! The colors, the dynamics, the character design, the crazy out of space stone, the story, the 2D and 3D mixture, with the close ups and stills in such an adorable and most favorite of mine way... It was a true pleasure viewing it. :)

GailBlitzy
09-22-2010, 09:11 AM
that's bloomin brilliant! Well worth dropping out of school for, education eat your heart out!!!

AlexYaremchuk
09-22-2010, 09:37 AM
It's amazing. Artstyle, animation -- everything. Greate editing, lots of elements on screen and the combination of 2D and 3D is especially great.

cobra6
09-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Very nice! I really enjoyed that :)

Creieru
09-22-2010, 11:22 AM
i haven`t seen such a masterpiece in a long time. the animation is superb. the look is somenthing else, gread 2D style. congrats to all three of you

Quadart
09-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Simply fantastic on all levels. What a visual treat. :thumbsup:
After I watched it, I watched it again, then one more time--which is a rarity for me.

EDIT: I just watched it again.

MrPositive
09-22-2010, 12:23 PM
That was pretty sick and slick. I just love the fact that many people watching this might not even realize that 3D was involved. The whole piece is beyond even many features films quality created lately. It seems that some of your influence is from John Kricfalusi, who is possibly my favorite animator of all time. By the way, it appears to be created in Studio Max and this rigging reel is every bit as ridamndiculous as well.
http://vimeo.com/13957690

Littleberu
09-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Wow, absolutely amazing! :O

Congrats! :)

fxgogo
09-22-2010, 02:03 PM
nice stuff guys. Love the style.

AIR
09-22-2010, 03:22 PM
This is genius!! You guys deserve success! :applause:

berniebernie
09-22-2010, 04:14 PM
That was pretty sick and slick. I just love the fact that many people watching this might not even realize that 3D was involved. The whole piece is beyond even many features films quality created lately. It seems that some of your influence is from John Kricfalusi, who is possibly my favorite animator of all time. By the way, it appears to be created in Studio Max and this rigging reel is every bit as ridamndiculous as well.
http://vimeo.com/13957690

poor vincent is learning maya @ the Mill now =)

great job guys! especially with the shit you went through...

it would be even more awesome if the sound had a little more depth (it's not up the the greatness of the images at all)

Herne
09-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey there guys !! your work is outstanding,it's funny,it's fast and with various perspective angles and it has its own style !! that's what is the best about it ! ;) i love it and laughed very often

excuse me ^^
<<< going to watch it again !

:applause: :beer:
Cheers Herne

kImpressive
09-22-2010, 07:44 PM
This. Was. Epic.

TorbjornO
09-22-2010, 08:44 PM
It was almost too much, sensory overload. Beautiful though. Great work guys, I hope this leads to great things for you!

JackZhang
09-22-2010, 09:52 PM
one of the most spectacular short i've ever seen!

pimeto
09-22-2010, 10:14 PM
This is so awesome! Great job! I really enjoyed it! :)
I was wondering - is this 3d, is this 2d, is this flash... :) WOW!
I get it to be 3d with 2d elements!
I REALLY HOPE THAT YOULL RELEASE a "Making of"!!

Wonderful job! Great animation, great designs, great style, great colors!
I love it! :)

Imaver
09-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Amazing work - thanks for sharing :)
Very intensive action during the all movie - great work :applause:

retrovision
09-23-2010, 02:27 AM
Absolutely amazing!

Best short I've ever seen. The only thing that was lacking a bit for me was the sound.

After visiting the website, I noticed you guys are working on another short too, Meet Buck... The trailer looks ridiculously good. Can't wait for the full release.

m|3
09-23-2010, 03:33 AM
That was very enjoyable! Loved the Art-Direction!

Lunatique
09-23-2010, 08:02 AM
No wonder you guys dropped out of school to do this. With this caliber of work, studios will be kicking down your doors to offer you jobs, and I wouldn't be surprised if they want to talk to you about developing it into a full-blown commercial franchise. Or, just continue what you're doing and find ways to commercialize your projects--like selling merchandise, DVD's, ad space, and so on. Perhaps even get investors and then produce a feature length animation and become one of the players in the feature animated film market. Small screen would be great too--get a deal with the Cartoon Network and become a syndicated show.

Felideus
09-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Amazing work, the style, color and action are just great! :applause:

MarcGoecke
09-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Really awsome! It's like Ren&Stimpy meet Sam&Max. I love the style!

cheers
Marc

astitchintime
09-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Trying to add to what has already been said is difficult.

So the best compliment I can pay is:

Flawless!

I've never said that about anything I've seen before...ever!

Chriiis
09-23-2010, 01:50 PM
I waited it for months ! I'm absolutely NOT disappointed.
You've done a fantastic work.
This might be a Prequel to Sponge Bob's Universe.

tsurubaso
09-23-2010, 02:23 PM
really nice
so sade that my computer is so slow...

leif3d
09-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Really incredible guys, best of luck!
...I don't think you need much luck with all that hard work and talent, but just in case...

Joebount
09-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Wow, bordel, wow...
Bravo les gars, magnifique.

I'm speechless, so damn good

robitabu
09-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Brilliant!!! Awesome piece of artwork :-)

Pjot
09-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Love it. Love it. Love it.

ErikE
09-25-2010, 05:17 AM
That was awesome, very impressive

Maxyth
09-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey ! Thanks to all of you ! After one year working on the film, it's good to hear some good comments.

Regarding the technique, all the characters, vehicles and some props are in 3D. Some backgrounds are camera mapped into a 3D scene with simple volumes. Some other backgrounds are only flat drawings. All the 3D is rendered with very simple pass like auto illumination,black and white lighting etc ... The final render is entirely done in Compositing. All the 2D FX like fire or dust, smoke, are animated in 2D.
Some special characters are flat puppets that we put into a 3D scene. So no tracking. And there is some special 2D shots that are only done in compositing with no 3D at all, or sometimes a mix. It depends on what we needed shot by shot.

There is nothing new in our way of doing things, it's just a big mix of everything between 2D and 3D.

And regarding the question from Ivanisavich, we thought about the festivals when we put the film online but really, we don't care. We just want people to enjoy the film and after that everything is just bonus. We'll see on which festivals we will be able to send the film, or not.

ivanisavich
09-25-2010, 11:46 PM
And regarding the question from Ivanisavich, we thought about the festivals when we put the film online but really, we don't care. We just want people to enjoy the film and after that everything is just bonus. We'll see on which festivals we will be able to send the film, or not.

Fair enough :)

The upside to not sending it to festivals is that it gets to go online sooner and thus, we all get to see it sooner!

webhead
09-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Great looking short film! Lots of eye candy! My favorite part was the chase sequence in the vehicles. Really nice sense of depth and movement in that part. Congrats on a great piece of work and making the front page. Well deserved.

mquinta
09-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Awesome guys, good work :)

alaa-afifah
09-27-2010, 03:00 PM
this is really great piece of art also new concept .
keep...up guys
my web site
www.alaaafifah.com (http://www.alaaafifah.com/)

QuantumPixel
09-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Watching this through for the third time I am still absolutely blown away! Amazing detail, art direction concept and story flow. Love the side kick bit I laughed out loud every time that was thrown in there.

As for the festivals. To each and every festival that wont except you because you have gone public its their loss and they should look at there stupid policy and change it. The best should be recognized for being the best regardless of it being online or not. I nominate you for an Academy Award! Congratulations!

Kevron
09-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Fantastic work! The animation is amazing! Just WOW...

Lost for words now..

Cheers,
Kevron

marque-pierre
09-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Amazing work! I love the production quality as well as the dynamic story telling.

What tools/software did you use in the production?

I would be very proud, to look back on such a fine piece, if it was me...

nimblepix
10-01-2010, 03:34 AM
Absolutely Stunning!

Ikaria
10-01-2010, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't worry about the festival exposure too much -- I think it's pretty safe to say that every animator on the planet has seen your film by now and that in itself is very impressive.

What's TRULY impressive, though, is that the three of you might have just introduced a huge PARADIGM SHIFT in our art rendering the great 2D vs. 3D animation debate useless.

BRAVO for showing the way :) -- I'm sure there's much head scratching going on in all the major studios.

:bowdown:

cresshead
10-01-2010, 09:17 PM
congrats on the modelling, animation and rendering all are just top notch.

the only gripes i have is the storytelling/editing...i find it waay to hard to follow with almost no set up shots and lacking in continuity, pacing..too fast cutting left me going thru it frame by frame with friends, we were trying to understand the characters motivation and actions/pay off shots in many scenes.

i'd imagine it would have benefited from screening rough cuts to people who were not intimately involved in the production so were unaware of the plot/story before seeing it,

modeling, rendering & animation etc 10/10 :beer:

endi
10-02-2010, 06:30 PM
this film is horrible... sorry...

mrtprodz
10-04-2010, 11:21 AM
the only gripes i have is the storytelling/editing...i find it waay to hard to follow with almost no set up shots and lacking in continuity, pacing..too fast cutting left me going thru it frame by frame with friends, we were trying to understand the characters motivation and actions/pay off shots in many scenes.

Not to insist on this but I was really thinking I was the only one having the same impression,
I mean beside my comment there wasn't any single negative critic about it.

About the fast paced action scenes, I'm not against it as long as the viewer can still
understand why this is going on. The best example I can think of is Burning Safari (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0UmVrKC9hA) or Le Building (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-GPEi-24ek)
both made at Les Gobelins school.

Salesman's Pete is great in a technical way, but I won't remember about what was going
on in the short. I will just remember it as a "great 2d looking 3d short film".

anaStudio
10-04-2010, 01:39 PM
wht da???

guys...very very very brilliant work...

could you please drop another year...to make a complete making and pipeline???

kidding..

but i really want to know more about texturing,render,styles, everything

gret work guys

i really loved it..
breathe taking direction...no moment to waste...i don't think that i've blinked during the movie...

BigBurger
10-04-2010, 02:30 PM
absolutely great style and art! love it

Narfnarf
08-04-2011, 12:07 PM
This is such a cool film! Visually, the style is stunning! Any plans for a new film? :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2011, 12:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.