PDA

View Full Version : Beyond the Tools for Modeling

AmirZoghi
09-21-2010, 04:44 AM
hi,

I've just started modeling in 3D. I'm really confused and need experienced modelers' help.

I've started with The Gnomon tutorials(Introduction to Maya, head and body modeling for games so far).

in the tutorials I hear about some words and concepts which are totally unfamiliar to me and seem to be some concept beyond the tools and softwares.

On the other hand I really like and believe in Robert Chang's advice about "learning fundamentals first". I like to be a modeler not someone who can work with a particular software.

All right, what are fundamentals in modeling and where can I get them?

Could you plz introduce me a source(Book,Video Tutorial, Website, etc) from which I could learn basic fundamentals about modeling.

Having a paper source like a Book is really helpful for me to study while I'm not at my computer.

tnx formerly...

CGmascot
09-21-2010, 10:25 AM
hi,
On the other hand I really like and believe in Robert Chang's advice about "learning fundamentals first". I like to be a modeler not someone who can work with a particular software.

All right, what are fundamentals in modeling and where can I get them?

I like your attitude. I second learning modeling instead of some particular software. However tutorials included with many software are very good way to learn basics as well. I started like that 10+ years ago and have relied on online tutorials and just practising (model a head or a body over and over) after that.. until I now make my own learning material.

There's a ton to learn with free tutorials alone - don't shell out to expensive tutorials like Gnomon's right away. This one is very good resource and all taught in an entertaining way. Free too.
http://guerrillacg.org/home

I'm sure there are fundamentals taught elsewhere as well. There are many more tutorial portals now than when I started. Other than those I would recommend doing project-like tutorials, those that show each step on the way.

If you fancy character work again after the fundamentals, I go over some concepts and methods at my learning blog. This is not a bad place to start http://www.cgmascot.com/design/surface-flow-matters/

AmirZoghi
09-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Niko, thank you for your guidance, it'll be so useful. BTW both sites are very useful too, the "Guerrilla CG" and your owns'.

Beside online sources, can anyone introduce a Book about modeling which covers fundamental to advanced concepts? you know, I googled that and I found a dozen of 'seem to be very good' titles. I really don't know which one should I choose :sad:

CGmascot
09-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Glad I could help, Amir. Can't help with the book selection, though - I've never had a book on modeling. Good luck and have fun!

Assassin0323
09-23-2010, 05:05 AM
When I really started on the path of modeling, I was given a book called "Polygonal Modeling Basic and Advanced Techniques" By Mario Russo. It really helped me out especially with topology. If you are going down the path of character modeling I definitely recommend that you pick up a bunch of anatomy books. My recommendation is to start in one area of modeling be it hard surface, character, or environment. Work on one form for at least a year then try another, I started in hard surface cars then moved on to environment modeling which is much easier (in my opinion). Best advice I can give you is study topology, then start looking at everyday life objects simple or complex and try to model it in your head. That is a little exercise I do everyday and my modeling has gotten so much better. :thumbsup:

Here is a link to the book above:
http://www.amazon.com/Polygonal-Modeling-Advanced-Techniques-Worldwide/dp/1598220071

Hope it helps and I can't wait to see your artwork in the future.
Best of Luck!

AmirZoghi
09-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Alex, thanks for your precious advice, I really appreciate that. I try to buy the book, it seems to be the one I need... and also about anatomy, I'm so happy that I have to learn about such an interesting topic:)

BTW, is sculpting useful for me on this level of learning modeling (starting level)?

Assassin0323
09-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Amir, glad I could help. I would recommend that you start getting good at base models first be it in Maya or 3DS Max. Then you can export those base meshes as OBJ's into your choice of sculpting programs(Autodesk Mudbox or my preference ZBrush 4). Those sculpting programs are mainly for organic modeling and detail work. I would recommend that you get a good grasp in one program then start in another. I worked in 3DS Max for 3 years then went to Full Sail University where we worked in Maya, that transition was easy then about 5 months ago I took two courses on ZBrush and was able to pick it up in about two solid months of projects. If you are going into more of the character modeling it is definitely a must, and for environment it is easier to work with base meshes that are really low res. That you would then bring into ZBrush for detailing, then reimport into Maya render out an ambient occlusion for texturing and a normal map of the detailed pass. I can go into more detail with you when you get to that point. Hope it helps if you need more help I can give you links to sites with helpful tutorials or pointers.

Hope it helps!
Best of luck.

AmirZoghi
09-28-2010, 07:51 PM
if you need more help I can give you links to sites with helpful tutorials or pointers.
That would be with no doubt very useful... I'd wait to see these links, tnx Alexander.

I fortunately found a source really near to what I meant and it's funny that I have had that from the 1st time I installed Maya without knowing that :p . "Autodesk's Documentation", which is really complete and covers theories as much as a beginner like me needs. how hadn't I noticed that so far?:hmm::curious:

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2010, 07:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.