PDA

View Full Version : arrayMapper usage

meetar
09-21-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm doing some node-wrangling to try to control attribute values with a texture. The suggestions I've seen online so far suggest a particle grid, but I want to sample arbitrary, moving points, and would prefer to avoid expressions for the usual performance reasons.

Now, the arrayMapper node has inputs including uValuePP and vValuePP, and outputs such as outValuePP, which are able to query the value of an associated texture at a particular UV coordinate without the use of expressions such as colorAtPoint... but they assume you'll be using a particle system, and the inputs expect double arrays.

In this thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5400844&postcount=2
the venerable Duncan Brinsmead says of the arrayMapper node:

Outside of the particle system most nodes tend to work with simple scalar attributes not double and vector arrays, so it probably doesn't have too much use outside the particle system currently( although you can easily create a custom node through the api with double and vector array attributes )

So by "probably doesn't have much use", does that mean it's possible but difficult? Can a non-particle-related scalar output be converted to an array with nodes somehow to make the arrayMapper input accept the connection? Or is that only possible with a custom node, as he suggests? And if so does that mean the dreaded C++?

CGTalk Moderation
09-21-2010, 12:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.