PDA

View Full Version : Pushing vertices out and avoiding intersections

hkrol
09-20-2010, 05:26 PM
I'd like to know if there's a tool in any modeling software (or related) that allows for pushing vertices out along theirs normals but avoiding self-intersections in the mesh.
Please have a look at the effect I want to achieve (automatically):
http://h-krol.de/bilder/push_intersections.png

sqrlcub
09-20-2010, 09:26 PM
If you select the verts you want to move and use the scale tool, it may do the majority of what you want it to do; however, in this example. I believe you have to select two adjacent rows of verts and move those with the scale, then go to the second series of verts to repeat. They may cross the intersection, but that will get closer to what I believe you are seeking.

hkrol
09-21-2010, 09:06 AM
thank you for your answer, sqrlcub. But since I'm dealing with a big and complicated mesh I am looking more for an automated process instead of a manual one. Much like the push Modifier in 3ds max, but with the added functionality I described.

Autarkis
09-21-2010, 06:53 PM
The only thing i can think of would be to create a mesh out of that and using a cloth simulation to inflate it. There's a balloon presets in the ncloth section of maya that would work for that?

sqrlcub
09-24-2010, 01:48 AM
Not a problem. If you find the correct answer, post it, I'd like to see a way to optimize my workflow as well.

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2010, 01:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.