PDA

View Full Version : Maya hair and Mental Ray

noahmcgary
09-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I have a question about Maya's hair system and mental ray working together. I'm working in maya 2010, on a character in which I am using hair made from assigning a hair system to several shaped curves. I can get the hair looking rather nice in the default maya software render but as soon as I switch on mental ray it looses a lot of the detail. I would use maya software but I find that my normal map assigned to the character works only with mental ray. Is there some way to get the same look from the hair using mental ray? If anyone has experience with these types of things, any advice would be much appreciated!

Redsand1080
09-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Ok, so mental ray handles hair in two different ways: 1) primitive: hair is actual geometry, 2) volumetric: volume shader used to simulate 'effect' of hair.

Default is hair primitive. Hair will show up in reflections and stuff. In my experience this looks different than default maya hair. To get it to look more like maya hair/fur switch the mental ray handling of hair to the volumetric mode. In 2010 go to: render settings - options - export hair. Change to 'hair geometry shader.'

Cool thing about hair primitive mode is it also responds correctly to HDRI lighting and stuff and is also more predictable.

The volume mode is more of a hack but tends to look more like maya fur to me. So if you want HDRI lighting and stuff, stick with hair primitive. If you don't care about that but want it to look more like maya fur, go with the volume mode hack way.

Hope that helps.

-Justin

CGTalk Moderation
09-25-2010, 06:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.