PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Spice Up a Visual Basic 6.0 programming? (noob)

singularity2006
10-02-2003, 08:07 AM
So I'm taking this super basic beginner class about Visual Basic 6.0 but my teacher refuses to answer any questions regarding advanced topics and will not give us instruction on it because he wants us to stick completely with basics. But aaahhhh, I must figure out some new tips... I'm bored of gray. =(

kniffo
10-02-2003, 01:56 PM
Just go to http://www.vbwm.com/articles/builder/viewer.asp?ArticleID=16

There you can find information about how to create a cool window form... that should spice up your programs a bit :)

singularity2006
10-02-2003, 06:49 PM
ooOoH, wow that looks cool! Now the hard part is figuring out how to enter the code... lol, we haven't even started learning code yet, just UI.

kniffo
10-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Muahahaha!
Men, you should have said this of course ...

Well, strange, that your teacher starts with the UI stuff. I mean, is'nt it a good idea to start with the basic concepts of oop ?? (allthough VB is not _real_ oop, but that's another discussion)

But, you should get VB6.0 or better, VB.NET (there is a free coding environment available .. link below) and start coding.. haha .. and that's just writing line by line ... ;)

Well, get yourself a good book about VB or look onto several pages, for example, the one, I provided in the first reply - and try to do the first examples. I can help you, if you got questions ... no prob.

Teachers always stick to old ideas and principles - I don't know why.

The links for VB.NET:

SharDevelop - An Enironment, where you an code VisualBasic in .NET (http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/)

But, hey, if it's too difficuilt for you, you may use VisualBasic6.0 at first - but you have to get it from somewhere or buy it... because, VB.NET is not exactly the same as VB6.0 - they changed a lot of things and it could be a bit confusing for you to listen to you teacher and then try the stuff at home to realize, that it does'nt work because of the changes in VB.NET...

singularity2006
10-03-2003, 09:31 PM
isn't .NET a totally different programming language for VB? It's like radically diff, multi-threaded and not for noobs? Anyhow, I have the MS Visual Developer package, which includes VB6. Anyhow, line by line... hahhaa. Is there any way to view all the code all at once in VB6.0? The instructor said code is viewable per object, not the program form as a whole... is that true?

draconix
10-09-2003, 05:52 PM
In VB, the code is lumped toghether by forms. All the code for every control on a form is stored in one module. Scrolling from the top of the module to the bottom will give you everything from the general are (for global variable declarations) to the control codes and any custom functions created in that module.

MGernot
10-10-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by kniffo
Muahahaha!
Men, you should have said this of course ...

Well, strange, that your teacher starts with the UI stuff. I mean, is'nt it a good idea to start with the basic concepts of oop ?? (allthough VB is not _real_ oop, but that's another discussion)

But, you should get VB6.0 or better, VB.NET (there is a free coding environment available .. link below) and start coding.. haha .. and that's just writing line by line ... ;)

Well, get yourself a good book about VB or look onto several pages, for example, the one, I provided in the first reply - and try to do the first examples. I can help you, if you got questions ... no prob.

Teachers always stick to old ideas and principles - I don't know why.

The links for VB.NET:

SharDevelop - An Enironment, where you an code VisualBasic in .NET (http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/)

But, hey, if it's too difficuilt for you, you may use VisualBasic6.0 at first - but you have to get it from somewhere or buy it... because, VB.NET is not exactly the same as VB6.0 - they changed a lot of things and it could be a bit confusing for you to listen to you teacher and then try the stuff at home to realize, that it does'nt work because of the changes in VB.NET...

What are you talking about? VB.net is completly object oriented.

singularity2006
10-10-2003, 09:36 PM
and isn't .NET something totally freakishly more difficult than the regular original programming language??? :surprised

the instructor was trying to freak us out by telling us about all sorts of the multithreaded concepts and stuff for .NET.

MGernot
10-10-2003, 10:22 PM
It`s just a different concept. More object-oriented like in C++
And a lot of things are much easier to do in .NET.
Threading for example is really easy to implement.

Derlaine
10-13-2003, 12:28 AM
deleted text because i can't delete the post

kniffo
10-13-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by MGernot
What are you talking about? VB.net is completly object oriented.

Did I write anything about VB.NET in that context??? No. :mad:

VB.NET is object oriented.

:annoyed:

MGernot
10-13-2003, 05:34 PM
Sorry!

kniffo
10-13-2003, 09:04 PM
no problem after all ... :thumbsup:

pravinroche
10-22-2003, 06:56 AM
man u can learn vb without any knowlegde of c or c++ i learned java before c or c++ and learned vb before java c helps u to learn some basic programming stuff. its nothing hard as such i have done projects on vb in my final year Bsc i learned vb from the tutorials from the net. its quite obvious that there should be someone to help u out but we also faced the same problem with teachers they don't tell nothin i and few friends of us do hell lot of RND in vb. if u want some tutorials mail reply to this message. ok yaar

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.