PDA

View Full Version : Need help with dimesion understanding ... PLEASE HELP

shivboy
10-02-2003, 06:55 AM
hi,

im using the book 3-D Human Modelling and Animation by Peter Ratner to help myself build up a sound base for modelling. There is a part of the explanations there which I'm unable to figure out. It says to make a poly box with specific dimensions. I need help with 2 things:

1. The dimensions are in centimeters. How do I change the unit of measurement in Maya?

2. There are 6 dimensions given instead of 3 (for X, Y and Z respectively). It says:

Low X : -15 cm
Low Y : 16 cm
Low Z : 40 cm
High X : 15 cm
High Y : 33 cm
High Z : 55 cm

I am unable to understand how to use these dimensions to make an exact box in Maya. Please help me on this. Any help is appreciated.

thanx

Zastrozzi
10-02-2003, 11:44 AM
the dementions stated are max and min distances from the origin
these dementions will not make a cube but they will make a rectangular prism with a x size of 30 centered on the origin and a y side of 49 not centered however and a z side of 95 also not centered
ie
x side |---------------*----------------|
y side |----------------*------------------------------|
z side |-----------------------------------------*------------------------------------------------------------------|

* is the origin
hope this helps

shivboy
10-02-2003, 03:39 PM
hi Zastrozzi,

thanx a lot for replying. i didnt get one thing, here u simply added the absolute values of low and high but how did u figure out which is centered from the origin and which is not?

thanx again

Marcel
10-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Just put the two points in the scene at the right positions, then make a cube and scale it so that two corners are at those points.

Also, don't make too big a fuss about small things when you are doing a tutorial, it's organic modelling so you won't notice of your head is 2% smaller.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.