PDA

View Full Version : How to? a hill of particles

virtuALER
09-18-2010, 08:00 PM
I know,it's kind of a dumb Q: but I've lost the receipt...:rolleyes:
How to make a hillock of particles with PFlow?
say, wanna make a little sand hill. (now my particles are just separately departs)

JohnnyRandom
09-19-2010, 06:19 AM
Not a dumb question. :)

It depends really on what you want. Glacierise did some pile up example with vanilla pflow ages ago.
EDIT: ahh, ok here is the post:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=469297&highlight=snow+piling
Not sure if the link works anymore Hristo is around here often enough, you could ask him if he still has the scene, if this is the route you want to explore.

With sand though you are talking about billions of particles for even a small pile of sand. I think you would be better off animating a piece of geometry and born particles off of it. You could convincingly fake streams running down the pile or grains of sand blowing away.

A whole pile though, well the tech just isn't that good yet, IMO

Maybe a realflow/krakatoa combo no guarantees though:shrug:

virtuALER
09-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Thank you! The mentioned thread (with 'snow trick') as well as your approach were enough in my case. Just some nice (& more elegant methods) added to my approach (I made a Cone, with a Noise Mod for some irregular form, animate its height, and set as Collision source in PF, though had to adjust animation,form,particles speed etc - not a good way to do such a simple task ;) )

JohnnyRandom
09-20-2010, 04:59 AM
- not a good way to do such a simple task ;)

It would be cool to be able to truly sim a huge pile of sand without having to wait eons for the simulation but whatever gets it done :D

PexElroy
09-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Great question ;)

@ virtuALER - Care to share your results? I had a suggestion, but not sure if you got what you were looking for yet. You have access to PF Box #2 ?

virtuALER
09-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi, there!
Well, I've finished my task: 'snow+piling'-solution (with some adaptation) was enough.
And as for PF Box#2 (as well as RealFlow) I know their possibilities (somehow)...
but I'd like to get results 'purely with max PFlow-system', so that's the point.

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2010, 10:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.