PDA

View Full Version : Help, 3ds Max modeling issue

FlySkyHigh22
09-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Okay, so I'll point out that I'm not a 3d expert like most people on this site - just like to tinker here and there, want to go to school for it eventually (currently a graphic design major).

Anyways, I'm making a model in 3ds max and I don't know what happened, but if I try to move an edge, polygon, the entire element, (anything in the poly subcategories), it doesn't do it correctly. The edge will move down and diagonal instead of up, the model just becomes smashed to one side, or the polygon shrinks down/other surrounding polygons deform.
I've run into this problem before and just gave up.

Do you know what I did wrong/how I can fix it?

Thanks
Josh

JeremyJessup
09-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi Josh,
Sounds like you may have turned on some sort of constraint (edge or face). If that's the case, it will keep whatever sub-object selection you use constrained to the edge or face that the vertices are touching and it will result in the effect you describe.

Any chance you can provide a screenshot of the interface to have a look at how you have things set up?

FlySkyHigh22
09-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi Josh,
Sounds like you may have turned on some sort of constraint (edge or face). If that's the case, it will keep whatever sub-object selection you use constrained to the edge or face that the vertices are touching and it will result in the effect you describe.

Any chance you can provide a screenshot of the interface to have a look at how you have things set up?

To be honest, I scrapped it and started over [only had basic blocking done]. If it happens again, I'll be sure to post!

CGTalk Moderation
09-18-2010, 07:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.