PDA

View Full Version : casting down logo for reflection?

nessjp
10-02-2003, 06:12 AM
Hi,

I have attached the following pic.

How would I go about making a text logo reflect off of the floor alongide the length of my object in the picture. Let's say I wanted my name as the reflection. Rather than make it part of the floor, can I somehow hover it above and strategically place its reflection?

Thanks

In case anybody is wondering what the hell this is, It is what is commonly referred to as a dog-box. I am a CAD designer (solidworks) and I work at a company that designs and fabricates Aircraft interior components and furniture ie, closets, bins, dog-boxes for commercial aircraft.

A dog box is commonly used for stowing miscellaneous or emergency equipment like fire extinguishers, etc and placed on the floor of the aircraft where as a Bird-box is located up near ceiling. This current one is something we are doing right now for a Delta 767-300 and it goes behind passenger seats.

I am planning on doing a few items like this in LW to show how quick the company could do something like this to get a better visualization of the product and possibly even as a sales and marketing tool or for company brochures and whatever. LW can have so many uses at acompany like this (and many companies for that matter) and people do not realize it's potential and how many things it can be used for.

leigh
10-02-2003, 06:26 AM
I'm not *entirely* sure that I understand what you mean (it's pretty late, and I'm in dire need of sleep) - are you wanting to model the logo, and have it reflect in the floor without actually showing in the scene as a 3D object?

If so, I think you can place it in the scene, and stop it from rendering by selecting the Unseen by Camera option in its properties panel in Layout. As long as the Unseen by Rays option remains unchecked, it should still show up in reflections. That way you can strategically position it and have it show up in your reflections without actually physically being in your scene :)

I hope I understood your question correctly.

nessjp
10-02-2003, 06:38 AM
Yes, that is sort of what I mean.
I thought of modeling it and hovering it above to reflect to the floor, but thought that I may be able to do this with just an image?
If I have just a word on a white background projected onto a plane, can I hide the plane and just show the text reflected on the floor?

Not sure I even understand myself now. I need to sleep as well.
Still learning, so stay with me.

Just getting the hang of modelling and now all this texturing and rendering and Layout itself is a whole other world. Oh well, that is what I thought of modeller as well at first. Now, nearly a year later, I have learned to model as to what I feel is satisfactory, so now I venture into Layout.

Triple G
10-02-2003, 06:41 AM
If you're just doing it for a still, I would think just comping the logo in Photoshop would be an easier method.

leigh
10-02-2003, 06:45 AM
Yeah you can have an image on a plane with the logo and then hide the rest leaving just the word visible. You'd do this with a clip map :)

However, all of this sounds like an unnecessary mission - if I were you, I'd simply fake the reflection in Photoshop. That would take half a minute ;)

nessjp
10-02-2003, 06:45 AM
Yeah,
Thought of that too. Photoshop is also something I am trying to learn. Too many programs too learn and not enough time. So far I know hardly anything in Photoshop, but I will give it a try.
Any pointers as to how to do it in Photoshop?

Triple G
10-02-2003, 07:21 AM
Well, you'd want to keep the logo on its own layer, obviously. Then go into your Edit-->Transform menu and use a combination of Perspective, Skew, Rotate, etc. to get the logo to look like it's got the same perspective as your render. Or you could just use Free Transform, which combines all the transform tools into one.

Play around with the layer opacity and different blending modes (found in your layers palette), like Additive or Overlay. You could even try adding a Layer Mask (bottom of your Layer Palette, looks like a square with a circle inside). Then paint on the mask (with a black brush) to remove parts of the layer that you want to hide. I prefer using layer masks as opposed to the erase tool, since if you want to get part of the image back, you can just paint on the mask with white instead of black. :thumbsup:

nessjp
10-02-2003, 07:36 AM
Right on Triple G. I've been screwing with that between posts.
Have something near what i am looking for, but will keep playing around.
Thanks to both of you.

SplineGod
10-02-2003, 10:54 AM
I believe all you need to do is create the logo to be reflected and make it unseen by camera.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.