PDA

View Full Version : Flickering Bricks in Render

VanqR
09-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Hello everyone,

While rendering out a scene in Maya, I seem to get flickering no matter what I do. The flickering is on the bricks at the back of the scene, Which I've included an image of for reference.

Reference Image (http://i.imgur.com/jMpSp.jpg)

I know flickering has been covered many times in this forum, but I've tried a bunch of fixes and nothing seems to help; here's a quick summary of my render settings:

I'm using physical sun and sky

Final Gathering is frozen, accuracy is set at 500, diffuse bounces set to 2

under Anti Aliasing, I have custom sampling, with a min of 0 and a max of 3, with
the Antialiasing contrast set to 0.01, and the filter set to Gauss

Other than that, I've tried checking the normals on the geo, and reducing the texture size to get rid of some of the finer detail that might cause the flickering, but both did not seem to make the flickering go away. Also, under my texture, I have the filter type set to quadratic

Is there somewhere I'm going wrong? I've tried basically everything I could think of, but nothing seems to work so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

israelyang
09-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Hi
You need to find out where the flickering is coming from. Try to isolate so you know if it's coming from certain textures or lights.

SuperHero
09-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Do you mean those white spots?

VanqR
09-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the help so far, I've managed to figure it out.

Turns out enabling "optimize for animation" helped get rid of the flicker somewhat,
and fully unlocking all the normals and hardening the edges helped get the flickering down
to manageable levels. Also setting the gauss filter value slightly higher also helped.

I guess this thread can be closed now, problem solved

CGTalk Moderation
09-18-2010, 09:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.