PDA

View Full Version : procedural network as displacement map; so many artifacts

trancor
09-17-2010, 05:10 PM
I've been getting into rigging shading networks, so I'd like to keep this network a network rather than doing transfer maps. But I'm getting artifacts in the geometry when I use a network for the displacement map. I tried converting it with transfer maps just to see if it's something in the network, but the bmp was as smooth as a babies bottom.

http://upload.metal-asylum.net/trancor/ringPopV5/BGs/ringDiffuseFG.jpg

That is what I'm getting, see the somewhat hardened normals on the displaced geometry and the notches taken out of the areas?

I attempted to convert displacement to poly and do a smooth, but it would suck up all my ram and bring my computer to a halt. I tried enlarging the obj and freezing transforms, no dice.

I remember having used refraction blur from a blinn shader to blur a procedural shader before but I cant seem to remember how I got that working in the past. I felt like that would help the situation I'm in.

Anyone have any ideas?

VanDerGoes
09-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Which renderer are you using?
With mental ray you should use an approximation node when you displace a geometry.

trancor
09-18-2010, 12:09 AM
ahhh hah, ok, I'll try this out, see what the result gets me. I am rendering in mental ray. But would it still help that I don't get this effect when I use a bmp?

I'm trying it out now.

VanDerGoes
09-18-2010, 11:56 AM
To start choose a ""fine view" preset from the presets menu of the node.
If you use a bitmap file, it should be big enough not to see pixel artifacts...

trancor
09-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, kind of got swamped at work, then didn't really want to sit on my computer when I got home, so didn't really get around to testing solutions till a day or two ago.

The aprox node didn't seem to help. Same artifacts would show up. But I have 2008 on my home computer, so I did a test render at work on 2010 and the scalping/notching artifacts were gone but it still sorta looked polygonny / bad normals. I hit page up on my geo to get a higher level of sub, that seemed to fix the problem... Soo I guess maya must have some sort of perportional UV to displacement sample rate when it comes to procedural networks that it doesn't do with texture maps for getting a good tangent flow to feature displaced geo. Cause turning up the feature displacement samples on the geo itself didn't help much in 2008, but adding more geo did.

Just kinda strange that procedural stuff would render differently than texturemaps

CGTalk Moderation
09-25-2010, 04:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.