PDA

View Full Version : Removing lighting from Images

HCompston
05-29-2002, 08:46 AM
Im sorry if this has been covered before. But I cant find it :)

I have some images of a rock face that I am trying to combine into a texture. This is going to be seen up close on a cliff face.

All these images have light of some sort hitting them i.e. Sun, causing highlights.

What is the best way of getting back to the base texture?

If any one has any other ideas on surfacing a photoreal rock face i'll be glad to hear them.

H

leigh
05-29-2002, 09:26 AM
Hey :)
This topic was covered briefly in texturing workshop part 3 (at the top of this forum) and also mentioned somewhere in the replies to texturing workshop part 1.
Ummmm... there are a number of ways of going about this, it's really a matter of preference, as well as sometimes the method depends on the image itself.
Sometimes it's best to just manually paint the light out, and sometimes you can do it with contrast/levels, or the high pass filter....

HCompston
05-29-2002, 10:10 AM
That was a quick response! You must live on here :)

I'll try those methods. I have read the texturing articles you wrote. They were very good. I still have a lot to re-learn on the texturing side. I am out of practice.

How do you know when you have the unlit base colour? Is it just by eye?

Thanks for your time

H

leigh
05-29-2002, 01:08 PM
I just generally judge by eye... I actually very rarely keep an images original colouring though - by the time I'm finished with it, I've colourised it, and played with the hues so much that I've pretty much decided for myself what the base colour is ;)
Glad you enjoyed the workshops :)
And yeah, I'm online here pretty much all day while I'm at work, but I'm generally in the Challenges forum, as there is much more to moderate there... hehehehe.... so I usually respond rather quickly :)

HCompston
05-29-2002, 02:17 PM
Thanks Again

Im sure this wont be the last time I'm here :p

yahll
05-31-2002, 05:13 AM
There is also a very good tutorial about his at http://www.dvgarage.com (free registration is required)
It's the tutorial 9

HCompston
05-31-2002, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the link

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.