PDA

View Full Version : Rendering material previews with a different renderer?

ndeboar
09-15-2010, 02:53 AM
Hey,

I've built a 3Delight shader in the Maya Python API, but the material preview I'm assuming still uses Maya Software. Is there a way to change this?

I'm assuming I'll have to render to 3delight, save to a temp image file, read it in and display it in the AE. I can't find much info on changing the interface of the attribute editor though to try this.

By the way, is there any documents on editing the AE? I look at all the Ae templates, and I can't find any reference for how they are written.

Cheers,

Nick

ndeboar
09-20-2010, 02:07 AM
ok, ill make this question more straight forward:

How do I display an image in the AE?

kjaft
09-20-2010, 09:58 AM
have a look in the docs of the editorTemplate command and maybe in some of the AETemplate of simple nodes first. Those images are called swatches, and there too it is the best practice to look into the existing Maya scripts, like e.g. the AETemplate of a blinn or so.

Hope that helps.

ndeboar
09-22-2010, 01:44 AM
Thanks, but I find the ae editor commands really obsucure, and badly documented.

I found this:
http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2011help/Commands/swatchDisplayPort.html

Might be able to open a port to another renderer, but it doesnt really specify how in the docs.

I'll keep digging.

Nick

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2010, 01:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.