PDA

View Full Version : Hard time powering up

Gilgamesh
10-01-2003, 07:11 PM
This morning my computer turn on when I told it to. I hit the power button, and I could hear all the fans start, but nothing on the screen. And the harddrive sounded like it was having trouble spinning up. Would I be justified in thinking that this might be a problem with my power supply? I don't get anything at all on my screen.

singularity2006
10-01-2003, 07:23 PM
it can be any number of things. Try unplugging the hard drive to see if you can get the BIOS boot screen. If you do not, it might be any of the following: faulty RAM, faulty CPU, faulty video card or bad seat position, and then some ... might even be a bad BIOS. But the last two I wouldn't really suspect. If all else fails, it might be a power supply issue.

ZrO-1
10-02-2003, 06:40 AM
If you RAM dies, the system will power up (you'll hear the fans come on) but it will not load the BIOS so it will just sit there.

Do you have an extra stick of RAM you can try swapping in to your machine to see if that works?

Gilgamesh
10-02-2003, 08:37 AM
Well, I decided to buy a new PSU anyway, it's coming in the mail. I've suspected my old one for a little while now. If there was nothing wrong with it, it still wont hurt to have a quieter one. If the problem persists after installing the new PSU, then I'll tear into my computer a little deeper.

One of these days I'll buy something pre-fab, and then my troubles will be over. (right?)

Gilgamesh
10-02-2003, 07:59 PM
OK.... How about after it takes a while to turn on, it boots right to bios and gives me a warning that it hung for an improper CPU speed. If I exit bios it boots fine into Windows.

GregHess
10-02-2003, 08:24 PM
The quickest way to diagnose a power supply problem...is to try another power supply (no joke).

Usually though, a damaged/dead psu won't give any power.

Sounds more like the system somehow shifted into a mode which ran something out of spec. (Aka if you oc a 1.0 ghz to a 3.0 ghz, the system will hang up, but the fans and what not will keep spinning).

Check your cpu temp in the bios, as well as checking to make sure you've got the proper speed settings.

Check the system time as well, if it seems to be reset to january something...your bios battery might be going.

jsa2001
10-02-2003, 11:11 PM
Have you tried clearing the cmos and re-setting you're cpu speed, if not try this, also just press every cable in and piece of hardware down in to the slots,even the bios chip, it may be something that simple.

Gilgamesh
10-07-2003, 09:38 PM
In conclusion.....
I installed my new power supply, and everything works find now.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.