PDA

View Full Version : High poly character help

Berserker44
09-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Hello I will make this as quick as I can. I am just beginning to work with zbrush. using gnomon artist Richard Smith's tutorial, i plan on creating a low poly character by building it off of a high poly character. I desperately need help improving this character. any advice and critique would be very welcome. i am looking more for help on the folds and clothing as its just being started out. I am using his model just as a goal/reference and I have nothing but the base anatomy mesh.
thank you for your time

anacostef
09-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Hello there, good luck in your learning zbrush! Looks like you already know your way around them sculpting brushes and subtools, so at this stage there's not much advice you need, other than to keep at it! :)
Am not a big pro myself, but i know how frustrating it is to start learning new software, and zbrush can trick you into forgetting the basics, cause it's got so much wonderful tools going on and you're tempted to try them all.

So I'd say just a couple main things, basics actually, which I try to apply to all my projects, it might help if I remind you of these:

- don't forget the whole picture (in your case, don't be so keen on getting the folds done before you've put all the volumes in place - first make sure your char's got good posture good proportions etc; see there's an issue with the vest subtool, you didn't plan the basemesh properly and when you subdivided the margins moved outside; add a supportive edgeloop near the margin to the basemesh, or just extrude some faces in, that's what i do)

- use reference for everything you do, at least for the realistic models; you have that zbrush sculpt, but you'd be better off using a real ref set of photos, you'd be having all the help you need for the folds/creases too

- in zbrush its very easy to be caught in high subdiv levels; don't forget to go level by level, be happy with the lower ones first, and don't be afraid to go back and forth between them; I'd forget about the folds for a few hours, and try to get that soldier a more sculpted silhouette, he's kinda lanky, like he's a jogger in the park or something, all flowy and wavy : D then, you can add all the creases you want, on the higher levels!

Hope this helps :) Good luck!

Berserker44
09-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Hello there, good luck in your learning zbrush! Looks like you already know your way around them sculpting brushes and subtools, so at this stage there's not much advice you need, other than to keep at it! :)
Am not a big pro myself, but i know how frustrating it is to start learning new software, and zbrush can trick you into forgetting the basics, cause it's got so much wonderful tools going on and you're tempted to try them all.

So I'd say just a couple main things, basics actually, which I try to apply to all my projects, it might help if I remind you of these:

- don't forget the whole picture (in your case, don't be so keen on getting the folds done before you've put all the volumes in place - first make sure your char's got good posture good proportions etc; see there's an issue with the vest subtool, you didn't plan the basemesh properly and when you subdivided the margins moved outside; add a supportive edgeloop near the margin to the basemesh, or just extrude some faces in, that's what i do)

- use reference for everything you do, at least for the realistic models; you have that zbrush sculpt, but you'd be better off using a real ref set of photos, you'd be having all the help you need for the folds/creases too

- in zbrush its very easy to be caught in high subdiv levels; don't forget to go level by level, be happy with the lower ones first, and don't be afraid to go back and forth between them; I'd forget about the folds for a few hours, and try to get that soldier a more sculpted silhouette, he's kinda lanky, like he's a jogger in the park or something, all flowy and wavy : D then, you can add all the creases you want, on the higher levels!

Hope this helps :) Good luck!

Thank you so much anacostef (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=436814)! I will take everything that you said seriously and try to apply that to my work. you are right about the base meshes I do need to work on them. I thought that I could retopo them with zbrush but I need to work on creating a better base mesh in general. the edge loop hint was awesome and I will look applying that.

I'm a college student at the University of North Carolina (UNC). there are very few classes that relate to my interest, so I've been trying to teach myself 3d modeling and animation for quite some time now. I am trying to get into game design and im currently working on a project. I have spent so much money on tutorials, so it's really awesome to get help from a advance artist as yourself. thank you again!

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2010, 03:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.