PDA

View Full Version : Instancing Insects

dremer
09-13-2010, 07:31 PM
So I'm trying to attach cockroaches to a particle sim, and I'm having trouble getting them to rotate the way I want. Basically, I want the insects to face the direction they're moving, but know very little about scripting and the exact syntax I need to achieve something like this. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

wallabee
09-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Under Instancer (Geometry Replacement) on the nParticle settings, change "Rotation" to "Velocity".

The cockroaches will now face the direction of their velocity.

dremer
09-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not sure why, but this isn't exactly doing it for me though. I even played around with all of the settings and options in that toolbar and it certainly changes the rotation, but never quite in the direction of the movement. Would it be a problem if multiple forces are being acted upon it?

bjohnston
09-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Check to make sure your instanced geo is aligned down the x axis prior to instancing... and at the origin with transformations frozen....? Multiple forces should not be presenting rotation problems...

wallabee
09-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Rotate the geometry you're instancing and freeze transformations.

glassfairy
09-15-2010, 08:59 PM
how to align the axis for instanced geo?

ZeitG
09-16-2010, 09:07 AM
select the whole object at the vertices or polygons and rotate them, it turns out that the object is oriented the same way as was.

CGTalk Moderation
09-16-2010, 09:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.