PDA

View Full Version : plugin can't run on computers without vs2008

Maitreya
09-13-2010, 02:31 PM
this is a problem i met when try to run the plugin on other computers...
sorry, a bit messy, but this is how i tried to fix it(failed sadly....)

i code and build using vs2008, and maya plugin wizard

the plugin include several nodes and commands, i released it, and it run well on my computer, but when i tried to use it on a computer without vs2008 maya gave me an error said configuration is incorrect

i run the plugin on two more computers, with same maya version, it worked on the one with vs2008.

later i found the problem is from the plugin wizard,because i tested a simple plugin, one time use the plugin wizard and again without (found example program from net), the one didn't use the wizard worked on computer without vs2008.

then i tried to build my plugin without plugin wizard, succeeded, but i got strange error:
when i only build nodes, it worked, but when i added commands, maya gave me configuration error again!

now i don't know what the problem is....please help!
thank you very much

Hirni_NG
09-13-2010, 05:26 PM
You need to install the redistributables of VC 2008 on the machines the plugin needs to run. Your code probably depends on it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=dcc211e6-ab82-41d6-8dec-c79937393fe8 (for 64 bit plugs)

Keilun
09-13-2010, 07:10 PM
This is because you should be compiling with the same compiler as the version of Maya that you're releasing your plug-in for. Maya's install automatically installs the relevant C++ redist. If you decide to veer off with a different compiler, then you'll need to ask your users to install the C++ redist for that as noted in the previous post.

The API documentation should tell you which compiler version to use for a given version of Maya. In general it is safer to stick to the same compiler version as that used by Maya, but that's not to say that using a different compiler won't work. It's just guaranteed to work best when using the same compiler version. I've experienced bizarre issues in the past when loading multiple CRTs.

Hirni_NG
09-13-2010, 07:41 PM
This is because you should be compiling with the same compiler as the version of Maya that you're releasing your plug-in for.

Yes, I did not catch that one. It cannot be stressed enough that using the right VC version is important, somehow this issue comes up alot. Maya programming is hard enough, you do not have to do it while walking through a minefield.

jdj
09-14-2010, 06:34 AM
Hi,

Just my $0.02: You can set the compiler to use static linking instead of dynamic - that will include all the runtimes in the plug, making it bigger of course, but stand-alone.

Long time since I did this, but there should be some (probably under linking) option that you can enable.

/ Daniel

Maitreya
09-15-2010, 12:28 PM
You need to install the redistributables of VC 2008 on the machines the plugin needs to run. Your code probably depends on it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=dcc211e6-ab82-41d6-8dec-c79937393fe8 (for 64 bit plugs)
thank you,i tried this, but didn't walk
Hi,

Just my $0.02: You can set the compiler to use static linking instead of dynamic - that will include all the runtimes in the plug, making it bigger of course, but stand-alone.

Long time since I did this, but there should be some (probably under linking) option that you can enable.

/ Daniel
thank you, but i have changed related settings before, such as using MTd, and static MFC...but no use ;(
This is because you should be compiling with the same compiler as the version of Maya that you're releasing your plug-in for. Maya's install automatically installs the relevant C++ redist. If you decide to veer off with a different compiler, then you'll need to ask your users to install the C++ redist for that as noted in the previous post.
thank you, i am using maya2011, it is complied with vs2008 sp1, i built using vs2008 too...
i set the link static, installed redistributable, but still didn't work...

Maitreya
09-15-2010, 01:02 PM
here are things happened to me:
i have set link static and install redistributable on the one without vs2008
-------------
when i build my plugin using maya plugin wizard:
on my computer(work)
on computer with vs2008 and maya2011(work)
on computer with maya2011 but without vs2008(can't work)
-------------
when i build a simple node(an example from network)
using maya plugin wizard:work on my computer but can't work on the one without vs2008
didn't use maya plugin wizard(define all the settings for windows in the code): work on both my computer and the one without vs2008
-------------
when i build my plugin without maya plugin wizard:
only nodes:work fine on both mine and one without vs2008
nodes and commands: can't work without vs2008

really don't know what happened know....and why maya refuse to tell me what exactly needed!

Keilun
09-15-2010, 03:20 PM
thank you, i am using maya2011, it is complied with vs2008 sp1, i built using vs2008 too...

Compiling with VS2008 and compiling with VS2008 SP1 is different. Make sure you're compiling with VS2008 SP1. Typically a SP release of Visual Studio comes with its own CRT.

You can download VS2008 SP1 here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=FBEE1648-7106-44A7-9649-6D9F6D58056E&displaylang=en

The 'Help > About Visual Studio' popup should show you the following version if you have VS2008 SP1 installed:

Version 9.0.30729.1 SP

Maitreya
09-17-2010, 03:17 AM
Compiling with VS2008 and compiling with VS2008 SP1 is different. Make sure you're compiling with VS2008 SP1. Typically a SP release of Visual Studio comes with its own CRT.

You can download VS2008 SP1 here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=FBEE1648-7106-44A7-9649-6D9F6D58056E&displaylang=en

The 'Help > About Visual Studio' popup should show you the following version if you have VS2008 SP1 installed:
thank you Keilun, i checked mine, it's 9.0.21022.8 RTM
i will try to update it to SP1, hope this will help

Maitreya
09-17-2010, 10:59 AM
i updated my vs to SP1
now got a new mistake "specified module couldn't be found" :(

Keilun
09-17-2010, 03:04 PM
That usually indicates that a DLL that your plug-in is linking against isn't in the path. But really, could you be more specific about where/when this error comes up? It's a bit difficult to guess. There's many places that error could come up. Eg. Is it when you're launching VS? when you're loading the plugin? etc. etc.

Maitreya
09-18-2010, 09:06 AM
That usually indicates that a DLL that your plug-in is linking against isn't in the path. But really, could you be more specific about where/when this error comes up? It's a bit difficult to guess. There's many places that error could come up. Eg. Is it when you're launching VS? when you're loading the plugin? etc. etc.
it happened when i loading the plugin,on the computer without vs2008
i put dlls i used in right place, but when i loading it, maya said"specified module couldn't be found"
and in my computer it was loaded well without error.

Keilun
09-20-2010, 06:35 PM
it happened when i loading the plugin,on the computer without vs2008
i put dlls i used in right place, but when i loading it, maya said"specified module couldn't be found"
and in my computer it was loaded well without error.

Make sure any dependent DLLs that your plugin is linking against is available in the PATH environment variable for the session that launches Maya. Does your plugin depend on anything other than Maya?

Did you install Maya properly on the machine without VS? Eg. Did you go through the actual Maya installer? Or just copy the folders over? The Maya installer comes prepackaged with the VS2008 SP1 CRT installer and installs it as part of the Maya installation, which should allow it to run.

Maitreya
09-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Make sure any dependent DLLs that your plugin is linking against is available in the PATH environment variable for the session that launches Maya. Does your plugin depend on anything other than Maya?

Did you install Maya properly on the machine without VS? Eg. Did you go through the actual Maya installer? Or just copy the folders over? The Maya installer comes prepackaged with the VS2008 SP1 CRT installer and installs it as part of the Maya installation, which should allow it to run.
yes, i have put everything my plugin needed to the right path, and maya itself is correctly installed.
thank you Keilun anyway
ps:i have thought out a stupid idea, to put all the vs dlls to the machine without vs, then delete them gradually....hope i can find the reason=_=

Keilun
09-24-2010, 07:06 PM
If you have an older version of VS here's something you can try:

1. Install the old version of VS on to the machine without VS2008 SP1.
2. Open a command environment under that old version of VS (eg Start Menu > All Programs > Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 > Visual Studio Tools > Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt).
3. From there, browse to your plugin .mll file in the command prompt.
4. Run depends myPlugin.mll.

This will open a window for you that will show you all the DLL dependencies and those that are missing. If you add Maya's \bin\ directory to your path before running this, it should be able to resolve those dlls as well and list only those outside of Maya that are missing.

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2010, 07:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.