PDA

View Full Version : 3DS Max and Mudbox

akill10
09-13-2010, 03:13 AM
What exactly should I use them for? Should they be used in collaboration? Is mudbox more for character modelling and max for 3d scenes? But in max you can also do character models so I'm slightly confused. :)

Dare-o
09-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Mudbox is a 3d sculpting/texturing program, similar to zbrush, which is great for sculpting concept ideas for characters quickly. 3ds max is everything else, particles, general modeling, rigging, rendering, etc.

And usually programs like that are used in collaboration with each other. You will develop a personal pipeline eventually.

akill10
09-14-2010, 02:50 PM
I have another question. Is there a big difference between Maya and 3D max? I saw a video of maya, where you draw a line and it creates a full 3d shape from that line, Can I do this in 3D max?...I also saw in a video from someone using maya, they were modelling a flag and they were 'moulding' the flag like you do in mudbox to make it look like it was in the wind, Is this also possible in 3D max?

Thanks for your time.

Dare-o
09-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Both programs have their benefits, it all comes down to what one your more comfortable with. Anything you can do in maya you can do in 3ds im pretty sure, they are from the same company.

aussieloco
09-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Both programs have their benefits, it all comes down to what one your more comfortable with. Anything you can do in maya you can do in 3ds im pretty sure, they are from the same company.
Yeah, 3ds max, maya, and mudbox (not to mention softimage and a whole bunch more) are all made by the company Autodesk. Maya and Max all have their pros and cons. From what I've seen though 3ds max is really good for photorealistic stuff, and game models, and maya is really good for cartoony type stuff (ala dreamworks or pixar) and animation. Although I'm sure both could do eachother's job easily. In all honesty if you're trying to decide, just install the trial of 3ds max, play with it/get acquainted with it, then uninstall it, install the the trial of maya, do the same thing, and pick which one you like better.

Also, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAkQRtnmk0c) is mudbox. In the first part he is using maya which he then exports over to mudbox. Anyways I hope I helped, I might've got some things wrong but I'm sure someone will come in and correct me.

Happy modeling!

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2010, 11:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.