PDA

View Full Version : tri instead of quad? isn't this wrong?

Minnerva
09-12-2010, 11:00 PM
while studying i was told that tri points were bad for modeling. that there had to be 4 vertex/4 edges for modeling to work. well i was getting annoyed of all my anime face turning out to look like crud, so i downloaded some anime models out there to see how they had gotten the cartoon look, were everything was place to make them have that anime look to them, i noticed all were made with tri not quad. from what i told while learning was that you have to put 4 vertex or that it will not look good on modeling. so how is it that all anime models look really well and have 3 vertex?

picture of what i saw.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/kummy/triface.jpg?t=1284328625

Psyk0
09-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Hmm...the models you got were probably triangulated on export or triangulated on import?

A polygon is made of 2 triangles, even when in poly mode. That is because computer hardware has been optimized to work with triangles. Anyways here's the reason you'd want to keep quads:

Polygons however do have a useful purpose in game development. A model made of mostly four-sided polygons (quads) will work well with edge-loop selection & transform methods that speed up modeling, make it easier to judge the "flow" of a model, and make it easier to weight a skinned model to its bones. Artists usually preserve these polygons in their models as long as possible.

Source:
http://wiki.polycount.com/PolygonCount

Minnerva
09-13-2010, 01:05 AM
okay so if i get that model as a base referance picture if i can keep in mind that the tri are quads cut on export/import. i will try doing that, thanks for your help

DrugInducedDuck
09-13-2010, 02:45 AM
I went through the same conundrum at my school. They were always like "don't model in tris, stay in quads!" but never would explain why. Basically, there's nothing really "wrong" with modeling in tris. You can do it, and if it works for you, fine. Game engines will convert it to tris in the end, anyway. This is especially true with environments.

Like Psyk0 said, it's just good to keep them in tris because it does end up being easier for everyone involved in the process. You will most likely end up with a few tris in your model, anyway, because there are times when the model's topology just calls for it.

For going off of reference like that, try and follow the edges that flow, and not the ones that cross the polygon, because that's where the artist initially put the edges when he or she built it. Remember to focus on putting the edges where face muscles would morph, such as around the mouth. I imagine anime style characters are a bit different, though, since their mouth's expression range is crazy exaggerated.

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2010, 02:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.