PDA

View Full Version : Which notebook should I buy?

SaigonCity
09-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Hi there,
hoping that the experts here can help me with the following: I am quite knowledgable about software and the computer industry in generel. When it comes to hardware, I must admit that I have no idea.
My situation:
Since four years I use the Asus A6Ja, T2400 CPU, 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM. I do a lot of professional image editing with Photoshop, painting with Corel Painter X. The Asus works quite fine with such works, speed is not that high, but acceptable, and the notebook has always been quite reliable. Since a few months, however, I also do 3d modelling/rendering (no long animations, max 3 minutes or so; mostly still images) with it, and since then my notebook has become louder and louder and very hot (once I almost burned my fingers). Now my display doesn't work anymore and I use an external display with it ... I don't really care why the display doesn't work anymore, as I want to buy a new notebook that is more suitable for my needs.
I don't know a lot about graphic cards, and as of the brand I am quite open. My problem is that I don't know what kind of card is suitable for my work. For example regarding NVidia I am not sure whether a Geforce is sufficient for my needs or whether I need a professional one (Quadro ... ).
Regarding the cpu I am not up to speed, and I have no Idea... .

So here my answers:

General Questions

1) What is your budget? - 1000 to 2000 Euro (the cheaper the better)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
3) What country are you buying this in?

- Germany

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

- Don't like Dell

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?

- Of course generel stuff like Internet surfing, watching movies, but more importantly professional image editing with Photoshop, digital painting with Corel Painter X, 3D modelling/animation and rendering with Blender, 3D Studio max and from time to time video editing with Adobe After Effects as a hobby.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
- 90 % on my desk, 10% different place (trip)

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
- No gaming; no priority

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
- not THAT important; avergae battery life is okay

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
- yes.

10) What OS do you prefer? (more details below)- Windows 7

Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer? (more details below) Widescreen
f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non glossy screen?

- a matte screen (not a must must have)

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

- more important are the performance aspects, also a good cooling system; though my expectations towards design aren't that high, I do not like the ones of Dell, or Lenovo business series (with this weird finger mouse system), I don't want to have such ugly computers in front of me every day ... .

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?

- as soon as possible; wanna use it at least 4 years. the longer the better.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 80GB, 160GB, 250GB, 320GB, 500GB, 1TB, or 1.5TB?

- >=160GB

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, CD/DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

- Not (that) important.

17) What speed CPU/Processor would you like? Dual core or Quad Core CPU?

What's better for my main usage? I have no idea.

SemMike
09-12-2010, 09:31 PM
3D modelling/animation and rendering with Blender, 3D Studio max
I don't know a lot about graphic cards

Then I would advise you to learn carefully about them. I don't have any specific advice because I am myself having huge problems, but graphics cards working flawlessly in 3d apps is the exception rather than the rule. Considering that your other needs are "Internet surfing, watching movies", I'd say the graphics card choice is your #1 priority.

May you have more luck than I did.

Mike

InfernalDarkness
09-12-2010, 09:37 PM
6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
- 90 % on my desk, 10% different place (trip)

This answer concerns me. Why don't you build a desktop workstation? You're severely limiting your returns by going with a laptop. Time is money. And you just stated that you actually need a desktop computer.

Get a cheap little laptop for Photoshop on the go, and build a real workstation for 3D work. You'll be rendering much faster and have a greater range of graphics cards to use, and for much cheaper than a similarly-powered laptop.

Bullit
09-12-2010, 10:52 PM
graphics cards working flawlessly in 3d apps is the exception rather than the rule.

Not my experience, but then i never used a pro card that i know :D :p

3DMadness
09-13-2010, 04:32 PM
I can only suggest the same model I choosed for me to work with 3d. Its an Asus G51JX-A1, I got it from US$1400 at amazon, so I guess it will be under 2000 euro in germany as you asked. ;)

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2010, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.