PDA

View Full Version : Auto retopologize in Maya?

kemijo
09-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Hi modelers,

I'm looking for a single-command or one-click auto retopologize tool/plugin for Maya. I don't care what the resulting topology is, it just needs to be the same shape and end up with quads and no poles, without manual editing (i.e. it needs to be scriptable). I've tried various combinations of triangulate-quadrangulate, but I get way too many poles. I've also looked *very briefly* at other tools such as NEX, Topogun, 3D Coat. Will they do what I want? 3D Coat seems to have an auto-topo tool but can it be used without much user intervention?

Thanks for any insight.

Dare-o
09-11-2010, 07:42 PM
the 3 you mentioned should do exactly what you want.

this artist uses quad draw for one of his scan data models, its an interesting read:

http://www.asepulveda.com/2008/07/working-with-scan-data/

MasonDoran
09-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Check out the new features of Mudbox, it can reconstruct a low res mesh from the hiRes. Requires source mesh to be all quad though.

Sphervotic
09-12-2010, 02:16 AM
Is this Mudbox 2010 or 2011? Does this work well or is it a good place to start off with or would it be better just to retopologise yourself?

MasonDoran
09-13-2010, 07:52 AM
It is a service pack release for subscription owners of Mud 2011. So will eventually be released for everyone else.

As I understand it, it reconstructs a low res mesh from the hiRes mesh.
I suspect it just deletes every Nth edge of the hiRes mesh, but would have to try it first.

kemijo
09-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks a lot everyone, I'll give those a try.

PLASTICMONSTER
09-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi all.... MAX 2011 and 2010 also has the graphite modeling tools similar to quad draw.
You can create vertexes on the mesh to create polys or freehand draw your quad lines on the surface of the highres object to create a mesh...really freehand you need a tablet for that to have decent results.

Yacoodle
10-09-2010, 10:27 AM
decimation in Zbrush should do the trick.

kwabbott
10-09-2010, 02:32 PM
The Autoretopo in 3D Coat is quite amazing. It work well with no input, and works even better with just a few minutes of input. Just paint in areas where you'd like higher density, draw some guidelines where you'd like to see edgeflow, and bam! It just does it.

Also, it's manual retopo tools are top notch.

Kevin

musashidan
10-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Check out the new features of Mudbox, it can reconstruct a low res mesh from the hiRes. Requires source mesh to be all quad though.

This is just the same as 'reconstruct subdiv' in Zbrush. so it's just a reverse operation of sub-dividing up levels.

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2010, 04:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.