PDA

View Full Version : Which technique is this?

antongranik
10-01-2003, 10:06 AM
Hi every1! Just have a small question. Every1 knows Anry (www.anry.ru) I wrote to him thrice but still no reply. He's busy I guess. Well, here's the question. In this image (http://www.anry.ru/gallery/joker/joker_painting_steps.jpg) he shows how he draws. But can any1 tell me how he draws? :) I mean he begins drawing with a brush and then he smoothes it. Which brush does he use and how he smoothes?

Anyway thanks!

chrisdejoya
10-02-2003, 04:55 AM
no, it doesn't look like he smoothes it. looks more like he paints at near-full (if not full) opacity.

the blending that does happen is just a natural blending characteristic of painter's brushes. The smoothness, well, I think that is a result of his color choices.

He uses version 7, right?

the brush looks like the standard Brushes at maybe 60 resaturation with a fairly low Feature, maybe 3. If you really do want to blend your colors and still retain a bristly look, Oily Bristle usually does the trick.

Just my opinion, cheers.

MindShell
10-10-2003, 03:34 PM
i dont know if he does scale his works down ... it doesnt seem like he does because i have looked at the full view and i have experimented with some work flows in painter and i think he uses one layer or 2 ... 1 for painting on other for refrence so not to pick up the color or just turn that option off. but i am yet to figure out which brushes he uses. i think its a some sort of oil based brush i very much doubt its standard... i think the 1st thing that i would do is make my own brushes... and from the looks of it ... and considdering that he is a hella experianced painter user i would expect him to use his own made brushes.

anyways sorry for the spelling errors i am still kinda a lamer when it comes to english. us russians ... ya know.

tradedaemon
10-28-2003, 05:02 AM
I don't see how you'd need special brushes for the joker, all it looks like is regular painting with really good color choice and lighting in mind. Am I missing something?

karabe
01-18-2004, 10:33 PM
(xcuz me for my very bad english)

I don't think it's so simple, trade...
I wanted to ask the same question to Anry because it seems mysterious to me how he draws then get it smoothy...
I don't think it's the layers, for exemple in his video, he seems to use only one layer, and in one touch the things he draws become smoother...
And in his dragonfrost, everything is perfectly drawn but he said it was done in only one layer!!!!

Anton> I see that this thread begined in october, maybe u've found the answer to ur question... If u had, would tell it to me please... thx

antongranik
01-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Yes, I got an answer. I went to his courses. :-))) It's very simple. You won't believe. HE DRAWS ONLY WITH ONE BRUSH: Round Camelhair. No blenders, no erasers, nothing! Just one brush! Heh. And he does it amazingly fast and furious and inspirational!

karabe
01-19-2004, 12:16 AM
thx very much...

U know what, I knew it!!!...lol
I'm not jocking, I was shure that he uses only one brush, u can see it in his video... Yes it's amazing how he draws, but, even if my level is so so bad, i will try to get the technik... don't laf, i think that u just have to work hard...

about the courses: u mean courses in Russia? is he a teacher or something like that?...
last thing, u speak Russian so would propose him to make detailed tutorials please...

thx a lot anton (and u may not remember but once I went on a russian forum and tried to talk to Anry, but he did not replie and u did!!!! thx again)

antongranik
01-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Sorry but have to tell ya that Anry is not going to do any detailed tutorials. He's got no time at all. Even his courses are ended and he won't be popped up at our russian forum as well. So, we're kinda losing Anry. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jinbrown
01-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Hi guys,

It may make it easier to understand how Anry is able to blend colors with only one brush variant if you take a look at the Painter 8 Brush Creator's Well section.

With the Oils' Round Camelhair variant selected, open the Brush Creator.

Notice that in the Well section, the Resat slider is set to 17% and the Bleed slider is set to 92%.

When the Resat slider is set to the left of the Bleed slider setting (or the Bleed slider is set to the right of the Resat slider), the brush variant will have blending characteristics.

So, when Anry paints with the Round Camelhair variant, he's able to both paint and blend with the same brush variant.

You can set most Painter brush variants to do this, just by playing with the Resat and Bleed sliders.

Remember, though, that if you attempt to paint over transparent areas of a Layer, the brushstroke's edges will be white.

Obviously, Anry doesn't have this white edge problem when he paints only on the Canvas. (from what you say, I don't think he's painting on a Layer at all.)

The Canvas is not a Layer.

Happy Painting! :)

karabe
01-19-2004, 08:48 PM
I'm not an expert about Painter because I don't even have it!!! lol

Does this kind of setting for photoshop brushes? thx

Mechis
01-20-2004, 12:04 AM
@Jin,
I'm still new to Painter and am curious about the workflow you are talking about (using the round camelhair brush to paint and smooth).

Are you suggesting that you use only one brush the entire time? Or are you suggesting that you would make several different round camelhair brushes with different settings and pick whichever one you want?

While both techniques are possible, which do you think is more common among the painter community. I hope that doesn't seem like a silly question!

Thank you,
~Mechis

Jinbrown
01-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Mechis,

I think it's pointless to guess which of the two methods is most commonly used in the Painter community.

From what I've observed over the past 10 years reading Painter lists, newsgroups, and forums, as Painter has been developed further, users take advantage of what's new, mainly in the area of painting and drawing, using whatever the new brush technology offers.

Not many artists, and those who do are mostly Photoshop users new to Painter who only do line work and/or flat-color coloring, stick to only a handful of brush variants.

Most are curious enough to explore both what's already available and what possibilities there are when using the brush controls to create new custom variants.

Many users switch from one brush variant to another, tweak settings on the fly, and often can't recall exactly what they used to complete a final painting.

From what I gather reading messages above, Anry used only one brush variant.

Yes, it is possible to use the Oils' Round Camelhair without changing any settings and do both painting and blending.

Take a look at the demo image below, for instance. Please don't compare this with Anry's work for painting skill. It's just a demo of the brush variant's capabilities in its default state. To blend, I just used less pressure.

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/cgtalk_ p8_rnd_cmlhair_deflt_demo.jpg

Mechis
01-20-2004, 01:22 AM
Thanks Jin. I'm still in the stage of learning Painter's possibilities (interface, tools, etc), so I'm always curious to know how people tend to use the program.
Thanks again,
~Mechis

Jinbrown
01-20-2004, 03:35 AM
Mechis,

Like the rest of us, you'll be in that stage for a long time if you plan to learn all of the possibilities. ;)

Matter of fact, I don't know a single soul who knows everything that can be done using Painter. No matter what they tell you, even the experts are still, and always, learning.

Such a complex program with so may ways to do things!

To get a good idea of how people work, join several Painter community lists, newsgroups, and forums and just absorb ideas.

Sticking to only one or two locations in the Painter community will limit what you can learn about how people use Painter's brushes.

Here's a partial list of the ones I read daily:

CGTalk - Painter Forum

Conceptart.org - Painter 7/8 Feedback & Help forum
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/index.php?s=

Sijun Forums - Digital Art Discussions
http://forums.sijun.com/

In Depth Arts - Painter Can forum
http://www.indeptharts.com

Critical Depth - Painter Can forum (old In Depth Arts site archived, threads locked but loads of good material available, can do searches)
http://www.critical-depth.net/modules.php?name=Forums

TutorAlley Forums - focused on teaching and learning Painter software, versions 5, 5.5, 6, 7, and 8 - lots of discussions about Painter's brushes, settings, techniques, etc.
http://www.tutoralley.com

Also, but more likely to provide technical tips and techniques rather than so much painting information, still worth reading....

Painter list at Topica.com
http://www.topica.com/lists/painter-list/

karabe
01-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Thank u very much.

But for those who only have Photoshop, like me, can u tell us if there is a way to get the same result???? Does any brush of photoshop make that kind of smooth tuch?

AdvancedLife
01-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Thanks Jinbrown,

I am new to painter and this list of forums is great! Also thanks for the great info on your site, it is helping a great deal.

Jinbrown
01-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Hi,

You're most welcome. Thanks for letting me know my site's been helpful.

:)

Nolita
03-18-2004, 12:15 PM
karabe

Thank u very much.

But for those who only have Photoshop, like me, can u tell us if there is a way to get the same result???? Does any brush of photoshop make that kind of smooth tuch?

I believe you may find what you're looking for here: Epilogue (http://www.epilogue.net)

Just head to the art section, click on the link for techniques and look for all the tutorials by Socar Myles. Her work is often mistaken as being created in Painter but she uses Photoshop, and I believe only Photoshop.

She has even more tutorials at her site Socar's site (http://www.gorblimey.com)

All roads lead to enlightenment I'm not sure who said that first, but I think it's appropriate.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.