PDA

View Full Version : Changing the namespace of a child reference

norsegod
09-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Hey. So I have a problem where I want to change the namespace of a child reference. Just trying to do it through the reference editor tells me it can't be done, but there has to be a way to get this done.

I was thinking that there might be a way to force the child to have the same namespace as the parent and therefore somehow be able to force change it? That would work for me, however Since it's read as two different references I'm not sure how that would work or if it can even be done. I've read somewhere about shared reference nodes so I'll look in to that.

Otherwise I'm drawing blanks at the moment, any one have any ideas??

cheers / Henrik

norsegod
09-10-2010, 08:05 AM
by the way there's no trouble setting the namespace of the parent to the same as the child, however in certain cases I might have two or three refernces inside the parent and therefore I need to change them all.

Mark-J
09-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Take a look on my blog, there's a load of reference and namespace help on there. If you're under Maya2010 I'd say don't do it, it's dangerous and you can get into real issues. If your under 2011 it's a different matter.

I've just added a blog post about this for you :)

norsegod
09-10-2010, 08:51 AM
hehe unfortunatley it's not up to me :P

At the moment we're still in 2009 but as soon as a few projects are out of the house we'll be at 2011 =D

I'll take a look at your blog, thank you for your help =D

norsegod
09-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Yeah that answered my question =D

Thank you very much. I doubt it's possible in 2009 though but I can at least implement it once we reach 2011! =D

Mark-J
09-10-2010, 10:07 AM
You can , kind of do it under 2009 and 2010, but I seriously wouldn't recommend it

norsegod
09-10-2010, 12:40 PM
We decided on a different solution anyway up until 2011. Once we transfer to 2011 we can start having more dynamic names as namespaces, before that we have to be a bit "anal" when it comes to how they are named and so on hehe.

But your post really helped, so thx a lot =D

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2010, 12:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.