PDA

View Full Version : Learning the Elements and Principles of Design

B1ackShe3p
09-10-2010, 05:11 AM
I'm trying to teach myself the Elements and Principles of Design. Was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on ways to tackle these subjects?

halen
09-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Elements and Principles of Design

You've got pretty good keywords there for searching the subject. ;)

First google hit with those gives something like this (http://www.johnlovett.com/test.htm), which seems pretty decent. Many of principles are related to different methods of composition (not only the placement of the things, but also compositing with color or values etc...). There are plenty of material about that too.

Is there something specific you would like to know?

In addition to just reading and doing, one way to learn things is to look images/designs you or dislike and try to figure out why those images do work or not. Works for me. (And might help also other people if you share that information somewhere at WIP threads. :D)

Hope this helps at least a bit. Good luck.

B1ackShe3p
09-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply Halen. Basically I'm trying to learn how to apply the elements to my own art work. But not fully understanding what they are I figure I would search for some art projects that centered around them.

I think I will give your idea a shot and see where that leads me. Thanks again.

Lunatique
09-23-2010, 05:31 AM
Are you specifically talking about composition?

B1ackShe3p
09-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Are you specifically talking about composition?

Thanks for taking the time to reply Lunatique. Yes, I am. Basically I'm trying to improve my art from where I left off like eight years ago. I already established what my weak areas are. I figured that a good plan of attack would be to start back at the basics and work my way up to my weakness.

One of my major weakness and the reason why I feel I stopped drawing is I do not have the ability to take a complex object, lets say a tree, and break it down into simpler shapes. I think all the years of drawing someone else art has paid its price.

To make a long story short my goal is to find my artistic style. As of right now I feel my artistic eye is wide open and I'm not taking full advantage of it.

Lunatique
09-23-2010, 03:08 PM
It sounds to me you are talking about more than one thing--you mentioned composition, simplification, stylization, and that already spans a wide range. Have considered taking my "Becoming A Better Artist" workshop? I created the workshop for people just like you, because I really wanted to help those who are confused, frustrated, and feeling lost and insecure about their artistic growth. You can take a look at all the comments from my past students (thread is linked in my signature) and see how it really changed some of their lives. The workshop details page also contains many testimonials from the students--it'll give you an idea of what to expect.

B1ackShe3p
09-27-2010, 03:00 PM
It sounds to me you are talking about more than one thing--you mentioned composition, simplification, stylization, and that already spans a wide range. Have considered taking my "Becoming A Better Artist" workshop? I created the workshop for people just like you, because I really wanted to help those who are confused, frustrated, and feeling lost and insecure about their artistic growth. You can take a look at all the comments from my past students (thread is linked in my signature) and see how it really changed some of their lives. The workshop details page also contains many testimonials from the students--it'll give you an idea of what to expect.

I have not considered taking your workshop until now. It sounds like what I'm looking for. Hopefully in a few months I will be able to afford to take your workshop. Thank you Lunatique for putting this information in my view. I'm looking forward to see what techniques and advance concepts you cover in your workshop. Until than is there anything basic you could recommend to get an artist drawing again?

Lunatique
09-27-2010, 06:20 PM
I would suggest you first go through the sticky threads in this forum, and then grab the Andrew Loomis books mentioned and work your way through them--they will prepare you well for the workshop.

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2010, 06:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.