PDA

View Full Version : Pinata Breaking

Serihon
09-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Hello everyone,

I am currently using particles to place "paper mache" on a invisible star pinata shape. To do this I am spawning the particles from the surface of the pinata with speed set to 300 and then after birth setting the speed to 0 so they won't move any after that.

Now I am wanting to break off part of the pinata and have candy fall out of it. I don't have any issues breaking the pinata shape as I just made the part I want to animate away as a seperate element. However the particles do not follow the animated element. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to remedy this?

I have tried making two pinata shapes and duplicating the particle system to have one system on each shape and one shape is the piece breaking off and the other shape is the rest of the pinata, however only one of the particle systems will work this way.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Serihon

PexElroy
09-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Try to select your objects, the pinata shapes you have animated, and use Particle Object source as the position type. Then pick the new Position Object operator, pick your animated pinata objects for emitters, then choose in its panel, 'Lock On Emitter'.

Lock On Emitter will keep the event's born particles stuck to the objects in its emitter list, and as they animate.

Try it out and see if that is what you're after. :)

Serihon
09-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks PexElroy for your suggestion. I already found a way to do what I needed. I ended up using a Lock/Bond operator on the particle system, while having Lock to Surface -> Animated Surface checked under it and the pinatas as the objects they are locking on to.

Even though I already found a way to do what I needed I went ahead and tried what you suggested. The setting worked to keep the particles animated with the pinatas. However it would not work to keep the particles animated to the seperate element of the pinata that I animated moving differently than the main body. Thanks for the suggestion though, I really appreciate it.

PexElroy
09-12-2010, 08:03 PM
no prob - if you add in the second object that you had animated, to the Position Object, it also should stay locked, but I'd have to see your file; cool you got Lock/Bond to work as you wanted :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-12-2010, 08:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.