PDA

View Full Version : Orienting Sprites

Kaiser_Sose
10-01-2003, 05:41 AM
I have a street, when the surface is live I will create some particles as sprites and apply some leaves to them

The thing is how can I go about so that the sprites [ leaves ] are lying on the ground at birth rather than standing up

I want the leaves to ly on the ground before I apply fields

verbal007
10-01-2003, 06:40 AM
I always assumed sprites were something that always faced the camera.... course, I'm probably mistaken.

In the meantime, you could always used instanced geometry, like taking the image and placing it on little lowres square planes. They will be able to lie down, flip around, etc. Plus, I'd assume it'd look more realistic when applying fields and collisions to it. You could even bend up the planes a bit to make leaves that don't look so flat.

Hope that helps. :hmm:

- Jeremy

galactor
10-01-2003, 09:23 AM
Maybe this tutorial is interesting for you, i havent tried to achieve the effect you are refering to, but i hope this will help.

:: Galactor ::

Kaiser_Sose
10-01-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by galactor
Maybe this tutorial is interesting for you, i havent tried to achieve the effect you are refering to, but i hope this will help.

linky link

galactor
10-01-2003, 09:37 AM
http://zj.deathfall.com/Changing_Sprite_Orientation.html

sorry I must have forgotten to place it here.

Kaiser_Sose
10-01-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by verbal007
I always assumed sprites were something that always faced the camera.... course, I'm probably mistaken.

yes, they are

In the meantime, you could always used instanced geometry, like taking the image and placing it on little lowres square planes. They will be able to lie down, flip around, etc. Plus, I'd assume it'd look more realistic when applying fields and collisions to it. You could even bend up the planes a bit to make leaves that don't look so flat.

Hope that helps. :hmm:

- Jeremy [/B]

good idea but i see some problems ... i was planning to use like five or more different leave images and randomly apply them to around a thousand particles

- i will have to have many particle objects - one for lying down leaves, one for crumpled and lying down leaves, and so on

- randomly applying a thousand planes in my city street

- randomly applying the shaders to the planes

it will just take more time to setup

stallion151
10-01-2003, 10:32 AM
no its exactly the same amount of time, all you have to do is add a rand function to the cycle index of the instancer and i am sure it pretty much just as quick.

aydinu
10-17-2003, 02:53 PM
Maybe this tutorial is something you're looking for:
http://www.learning-maya.com/t_leaves.php

Aydin

verbal007
10-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by aydinu
Maybe this tutorial is something you're looking for:
http://www.learning-maya.com/t_leaves.php

Great tutorial! *bookmarked* But I think he mentioned 'fields' so he'll probably need something driven by dynamics.

- Jeremy

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.