PDA

View Full Version : Surface Point and Surface normal passes from maya?

pentexplorer
09-09-2010, 04:31 AM
Does anyone know which of the passes presets are the surface point and surface normal passes that I can then use in Nuke to do further relighting without re-rendering my scenes in Maya?

I did try out the Object Normal (World Space) pass and it seems that it should be the surface normal pass I am looking for but I can't seem to find the surface point pass. If anyone could point me to the right direction would be awesome!

Galakgorr
09-09-2010, 04:48 AM
there's no preset for it but a world position texture is easy. just use the pointWorld output of a samplerInfo node. you can plug it into a surfaceShader. just make sure your output format is floating point. if you wanted to try creating it as a render pass, create a custom color pass, make a writeToColorBuffer node (mental ray), connect the pointWorld output to the buffer's color input, and then tell the buffer to output to the custom color pass you made.

pentexplorer
09-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Sorry I don't quite get it... I have the sampler info node and i tried to plug the surfaceshader outcolor to the pointworld output but it doesn't seem to have any inputs for me to plug to. If its possible, maybe its better if I can see it visually.

DutchDimension
09-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Plug the pointWorld of the samplerInfo into the outColor of the surface shader.
Use the Connection Editor to do this:

Just Shift-MMB-click-drag the samplerInfo node onto the surfaceShader in the HyperShade and the Connection Editor will pop up immediately. In the left column click on pointWorld, in the right column click on outColor.
To Add a writeToColorBuffer to your shader network (which can be part of your regular shader), create the node, and run the same procedure as I described above, but this time use the 'color' port/input on the writeToColorBufferNode.
Create a Custom Color render pass, give it an appropriate name and in the attributes of your writeToColorBufferNode select that render pass. Done.

But as Galakgorr said, make sure you change the output for this custom color pass to 32-bit float for greater accuracy. Default is 16-bit which isn't ideal.

joie
09-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Hehehe, you need to plug the samplerInfo node INTO the surface shader, not viceversa... :D

pentexplorer
09-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Hmm I seem not to be able to get it. I have attached an image.. I only see the surfaceAlphaGain though. I tried to connect the surfaceshader to the samplerinfo and the samplerinfo to the surfaceshader but I dont get the pointworld to outcolor input.

Galakgorr
09-13-2010, 05:14 PM
you need to click on "point world" output on the left side, THEN click on the surface shader's outColor input.

pentexplorer
09-13-2010, 09:34 PM
ok my bad..i set the outputs and inputs to show hidden and show non-keyable and now I can see the outcolor to be able to connect with pointWorld. Thanks and it is working.

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2010, 09:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.